Postgraduates recruited and funded by CRCEES under the relevant theme are expected to attend. Places will also be made available to other research students studying at one of CRCEES' partner institutions. Attendance is also open to postgraduates at the host institution. Each summer school will have a teaching team incorporating academic staff and postdoctoral fellows from CRCEES partner institutions, as well as researchers and academic staff associated with the host institution.
The objectives of the summer schools are to:
- Embed students in an interdisciplinary and cross-cultural research environment;
- Facilitate development of students' theoretical, empirical and methodological knowledge;
- Offer opportunities for wider discussion and practical application of theoretical, empirical and methodological insights;
- Hone student skills in discussion, group work and presentation;
- Facilitate development of student research networks and collaborative approaches to research;
- Deepen students' knowledge of the local language by participation in the local environment.
2013 Summer School: Connected Communities
The 2013 CRCEES Summer School will be held at at the Centre for European Studies, Jagiellonian University, Kraków, Poland and the theme will be Connected Communities: Active Democratic Citizenship in Central and Eastern Europe. The Summer School will take place from Thursday 4 - Sunday 14 July 2013.
Contact CRCEES to find out how to sign up.
Previous Summer School trips
- CRCEES Summer School, 11-20 July 2011
New York University (NYU), Prague, Czech Republic
Theme: "Politics of Language: Approaches to Nations, Communities and Cultures in Contemporary Central Europe" [Review]
- CRCEES Summer School, June 27-July 10 2010
International Summer University, Corvinus University, Budapest, and Széchenyi István University, Gyor, Hungary
Theme: "Economic and Social Transformation in Central and Eastern Europe" [Review]
- CRCEES Summer School'09, 11-25 July 2009
International Summer University, University of Tartu, Estonia.
Theme: "Perspectives on Political Transformation in CEE" [Review]
- CRCEES Summer School'08, 7-20 July 2008
Centre for Independent Social Science Research,
St. Petersburg, Russian Federation.
Theme: "Aspects of Identity & Culture" [Review]
- CRCEES Summer School'07, 7-21 July 2007
Jagiellonian University in Kraków, Poland.
Theme: "Processes of Europeanisation". [Review]