Sustainable Water Environments MSc Project GEOG5051
- Academic Session: 2021-22
- School: School of Geographical and Earth Sciences
- Credits: 60
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Summer
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
Major project for MSc programmes in Sustainable Water Environments.
Individual tutorials with supervisor will be held at approximately 2 week intervals during the project period; project is full-time task with periods of intensive data collection.
A major project report covering the aims and outcomes, background, methodology, outcomes and evaluation of the project - 90%.
Collation of digital data associated with the project, including appropriate metadata - 10%.
The aims of the project are:
- To integrate knowledge gained during the programme by applying it to a substantial and intensive project;
- To allow students to pursue one particular topic in depth;
- To encourage investigative study and the application of this to a particular task;
- To give experience in preparing a substantial report on an extended project.
Projects may be of three basic types:
- a theoretical / research oriented project in which some problem is investigated by collection of primary data or analysis of a substantial secondary data set;
- an assessment project, in which the suitability or comparability of equipment, software or methodology to a defined task is investigated;
- an application oriented project in which the client and/or end user's requirements are considered and satisfied by appropriate products.
Students will be encouraged to carry out the project in collaboration with industry, but general work placement is not appropriate.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
- Discuss project requirements with a client/supervisor and produce a detailed specification for the outputs of the project;
- Plan and carry out a substantial research task;
- Write a comprehensive report of a significant project;
- Work to deadlines
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits