Education Policies for Global Development (Erasmus Mundus International Master) IntM
The programme promotes an interdisciplinary and critical approach to education policy analysis for students interested in the field of international cooperation and development. In the context of globalisation, education is more than ever a condition for social inclusion and a sustainable development.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- September start
- IntM: 24 months full-time
Why this programme
- This interdisciplinary programme draws on theories and methods from comparative education research, education policy analysis and international development studies.
- Mobility periods are designed to maximise a coherent learning experience in different institutional settings and cultures.
- The teaching team combines expertise and research experience in several parts of the world, including South and Central America, South-East Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, the Arab World, and Western and Eastern Europe.
- Internships with our cooperation partners will offer you the opportunity to acquire professional experience and to develop and apply your practical skills in a real work environment.
- You will have the opportunity to enhance your methodological and analytical skills by developing your own research project and by carrying out fieldwork in a developing context.
- This degree is awarded by a consortium comprised of Autonomous University of Barcelona, University of Glasgow, University of Bremen and University of Cyprus.
Courses in semester 1 are offered by the Autonomous University of Barcelona. In semester 2 you will study at the University of Glasgow or University of Bremen, based on your chosen pathway. In semester 3 you will undertake an internship with one of our cooperation partners and carry out fieldwork in a developing context. A mandatory winter school hosted by the University of Cyprus will take place in January between semester 3 and 4. In semester 4 you will work on your dissertation under staff supervision from one of the partners, dependent on your choice of topic.
Year 1 – semester 1 (September – December)
Autonomous University of Barcelona
- Actors in education and development
- Basic research methods
- Doing research on education and development
- Educational development, poverty and global inequalities
- Global education policies
- Theories of social justice in education.
Year 1 – semester 2 (January – May)
Pathway A: University of Glasgow - International comparative education
- Advanced research methods
- Education and theories of international development
- Researching international and comparative education.
Pathway B: University of Bremen- Global, social and education policies
- Advanced research methods
- Governance and education
- Inequality, education and justice.
Year 2 – semester 3 (September – December)
Winter school (January)
- Hosted by University of Cyprus.
Year 2 - semester 4: (January – July)
- Dissertation (Barcelona/Glasgow/Bremen/Cyprus)
Programme alteration or discontinuation
The University of Glasgow endeavours to run all programmes as advertised. In exceptional circumstances, however, the University may withdraw or alter a programme. For more information, please see: Student contract.
Graduates will be equipped for careers as analysts, consultants, administrators, policy makers and leaders in the design and implementation of education plans, whether in local, regional or national governments, international organisations, NGOs or large-scale education providers operating in developed or developing countries.
Fees & funding
Tuition fees for 2019-20
Home and EU
- Full-time: €4,500 per annum
- Full-time: €7,250 per annum
The fees listed here cover tuition only. Tuition fees will be collected by the lead university, UABarcelona, during registration.
Fee information is subject to change and is for guidance only
- Fee for re-assessment of a dissertation (PGT programme): £360
- Submission of thesis after deadline lapsed: £320
- Registration/exam only fee: £150
2.1 Honours degree or non-UK equivalent in any subject. For full details, including English language requirements, visit the GLOBED consortium website.
How to apply
Applications are handled by the Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- Academic Practice [MEd: Online distance learning available]
- Adult & Continuing Education [MSc]
- Adult Education for Social Change (Erasmus Mundus International Master) [IntM]
- Adult Education, Community Development & Youth Work [MEd/PgDip]
- Advanced Educational Leadership [PgCert: Online distance learning]