Student visas

EU Immigration Portal

Students should refer to the EU immigration portal, where visa information is displayed both for short stays and long stays. 

Please note: TourDC mobility Study Track options, for Partner Country** Scholarship students, may experience some restrictions in relation to mobility periods outside the Programme Country* group, pending the outcome of the EU - UK EXIT negotiations.

* Programme Country group = EU countries, Iceland, Norway, FYR Macedonia, Lichtenstein, Turkey, Serbia

** Partner Country group = rest of the world

The sections below provide more information about the partner- specific visa arrangements: 

University of Glasgow

If you are from a country that is not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland then you will be required to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK for the duration of the programme. This application can be made from 3 months before the start of your programme. You can check visa processing times for your country here

Those who do require a Tier 4 visa will be required to pay a visa application fee, and in most cases you will have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge. The University of Glasgow International Student Support Team provide information and guidance on this process.

Please note, TourDC students CANNOT apply for a short-term study visa for the UK due to the mandatory work placements on the programme. 

Any UK visa related questions should be sent to the International Student Support Team at the University of Glasgow. 

University of Malta

Some non-EU nationals are not required to apply for a visa to enter Malta. A list of the nationalities who require a visa for entry to Malta can be found here.

Those who require a visa to enter Malta should apply for a D-visa.

Upon arrival in Malta, all non-EU students, regardless of whether they need a visa to enter Malta, are required to pay for a residence permit and also must also undergo a health check. The University of Malta International Student Support Team assists students in applying for their residence permit. 

Any Maltese visa related enquiries should be directed to the International Student Support Team at the University of Malta. 

Wageningen University

As you will hold a Maltese residence permit (issued by Malta - a Schengen area country) you can move freely within the Schengen area, which includes the Netherlands, so as to attend the summer school. 

If for any reason you need an entry visa for the Netherlands, Wageningen University will apply for your entry visa and residence permit based on study in the Netherlands. It is not possible for you to start this procedure on your own. Further information can be found on the Wageningen University website

Lund University

In general, all students from countries outside the EU/EEA need to have a residence permit to study in Sweden if they are planning on staying for more than three months. You should not apply for a visa (which is generally only for shorter visits in the country), but for a residence permit for studies. 

You need to apply for and receive your permit before you travel to Sweden. The permit must be valid and you need to bring it with you when you travel to Sweden. Read more about residence permits on the Swedish Migration Agency website

If you need a residence permit you are advised to apply as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance. Please note that the process can take up to two months. You apply online at the Swedish Migration Agency website. After this you will need to visit the Swedish Consulate in Valletta to offer biometric data (photos and fingerprints). Other information can be found on the Embassy of Sweden website

University Institute Lisbon

To enter Portugal, Third-Country students must be holders of a visa valid for the intended purpose of the stay. This visa must always be requested at a Portuguese Embassy or Consulate

Temporary stay visas and residence visas for studies are granted only to third-country nationals who meet the following conditions:

  • Have not been subject to an order to leave the country for which the period of prohibition of re-entry into Portuguese territory has not yet expired
  • Are not the subject of an alert issued by any of the contracting parties in the Schengen information system for the purpose of refusing entry
  • Are not the subject of an alert issued in SEF's integrated information system for the purpose of refusing entry
  • Have sufficiet means of subsistence for the period of stay
  • Are holders of a travel document (passport) which is valid for a period of time of at least three months greater than the envisaged period of stay
  • Have travel insurance