Visa Information

Visa Information

There are very important visa considerations that international students joining the IM in Global markets and Local Creativities need to take account of and act upon to ensure that they have the correct visas and permissions for undertaking all of the programme’s periods of mobility in the United Kingdom, Spain, the Netherlands and/ or Germany. We strongly recommend finding what visa arrangements are needed for all mobility periods before arriving in Glasgow. 

The sections below provide more information about the partner- specific visa arrangements: 

University of Glasgow

Tier 4 Student Visa OR Short- Term Student Visa:

Tier 4 Student Visa: If you are classified as an international student by the University of Glasgow you will be required to apply for a either a Tier 4 Student Visa or a Short-Term Study Visa. You will require a Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) from the University of Glasgow in order to make a Tier 4 Student Visa application. The University will issue CAS’ to all international students who have received and accepted an unconditional offer of application normally from three (3) months prior to the start of the programme. Students are recommended to apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa if they do intend to return to the United Kingdom or if they are unsure of their plans on admission to the programme.

Short-Term Student Visa: If you wish to apply for a Short-Term Student Visa, the University will issue you an official letter of support, which is required to submit your application. This option is potentially more suitable if you are definitely not planning to return to the United Kingdom; however, please note that if you subsequently decide to return to the United Kingdom you will need to apply for a second Short-Term Student Visa, which must usually be done from outside of the United Kingdom and prior to traveling. 

UoG International Student Support & Visas website

It is critical to note that a UK student visa – either a Tier 4 Student Visa or a Short-Term Study Visa - does not cover an international student’s periods of study at the programme’s other partner institutions.

University of Barcelona

Before arriving to Spain you should apply for a student visa at the Spanish consulate in your home country or your country of legal residence. Applicants should submit the documents that show that they have been admitted to a program. For further details on consulates, consult the following webpage:

You should apply for a student visa (type D). Other visas do not allow you to apply for a student card. Once in Spain, you should visit the police station within 30 days of arrival to apply for your student residence card. 

For concrete details, you can contact directly to or  

ERASMUS University Rotterdam

More information about Visa and Residence Permit is provided by ERASMUS University Rotterdam at:

"Frequently Asked Questions" section is also included on the visa webpage. 

Students from Canada, Australia and New Zealand might be able to apply for a Working Holiday program which is cheaper and also functions as work permit. More information available at:

University of Göttingen

In order to study in Germany (longer than 90 days), non-EU-citizens have to apply for student visa. European Union (EU) citizens and those from the Schengen Area do not need any visa in order to enter and study in Germany. Furthermore, visa obligations for short-term stays (no longer than 90 days) have been exempted for citizens of some countries. You can apply for visa in a German diplomatic mission in your country (Embassy or Consulate).

You can find more information regarding the visa arrangements in Göttingen as well as transportation and student life below:

Detailed Visa information is available at:

Arriving in Göttingen:

Studying at the University of Göttingen: