Students in the Botanic Gardens

Visas requirements

You should refer to the EU immigration portal, where visa information is displayed both for short stays and long stays. 

The sections below provide more information about the partner-specific visa arrangements. Please note these regulations can change regularly and can differ depending on individual circumstances.  Further information will be sent out prior to the start of the programme.

University of Glasgow

Any student who is a national of a country outside the EEA (European Economic Area) or Switzerland, and is coming to the UK to study a course which is longer than 6 months, must obtain Entry Clearance as a Tier 4 (General) student before travelling to the UK. Students must obtain Entry Clearance from their home country, or the country in which they are normally resident. The application form is completed online in all countries (except for North Korea, where you must complete the VAF 9 and Appendix 8 paper forms). 

Students who know that they will only spend the first semester at Glasgow (less than six months) may choose to apply for a short term study visa. If students choose a short term study visa, they are not allowed to work in the UK while studying, nor are they allowed to extend their short term student visa. As with the Tier 4 (General) Student Visa, students must obtain Entry Clearance from their home country, or the country in which they are normally resident. If a student decides later to return to Glasgow in the 4th semester they will need to apply for another short term visa from their home country. At the time of writing, the cost of a UK Tier 4 (General) Student visa is £328 and a UK short term study visa is £89.

After the student has submitted their application it will be considered by UK Visas & Immigration staff at the respective Visa Application Centre. Specific processing times are available from UKVI, but students will be advised to submit their applications as early as possible. On arrival at UofG, the students will need to present their passport and visa at Visa Registration, in order to demonstrate their valid immigration permission to study

International Student Support & Visas

National and Kapodistrian University of Athens

The first step is for the student to apply to the Greek Embassy in his/her country for a student D visa before coming to Greece. The University of Athens will send the student an official pre-acceptance letter and an invitation addressed to the relevant Greek embassy requesting the issue of a student D visa. The student D visa gives the right of multiple entry to Greece during the period specified on the visa (usually three months). It does not give the student the right to travel to other EU countries.

After arrival in Greece, the student will need to apply for a residence permit. This requirement applies to all students, even those who have received a 12-month visa. The first step is to register at the University of Athens, which will issue a certificate stating that s/he is a postgraduate student and confirming the basic medical insurance coverage offered by the University. The second step is to make an appointment with the Immigration services in the area they live in order to submit the application for a residence permit.

At the appointment, students will need to present the following documents: 

  • Photocopy of a valid passport with a National Entry Visa
  • 2 recent colour photographs (passport size) as well as a photo in digital form (JPEG) on a CD.
  • Confirmation of payment of electronic fee of 150 euros + 16 euros administrative costs.
  • Certificate of medical insurance (from a public insurance provider, a private insurance provider or the certificate provided by the University – see above)
  • Certificate of registration at the University of Athens and of payment of fees.
  • Evidence that the student has sufficient economic resources to cover study and subsistence expenses as required by Government Gazette 41712/1941 (Government Gazette 2285 B). The current amount required is 400 euros per month. The student will need to show one of the following:
    • A Greek bank account with a minimun deposit of 400 euros
    • A foreign bank account with a minimum deposit of 400 euros and evidence that money can be withdrawn while in Greece (e.g. through credit/debit card)
    • Certification of a Western Union payment of a minimum of 400 euros
  • Evidence of accommodation e.g. rental contract 

Students whose papers are approved will initially receive a blue paper (with which they can travel back home and return to Greece) and in 1-2 months they will be issued with a residence permit with which they can also travel to other EU countries.

The Secretariat of our Postgraduate Programme will support students with advice and assistance during the residence permit application process.

Universidad Autónoma de Madrid 

Mobility within the European Union: Information for non-EU students admitted in another Member State of the European Union and who will take part in an exchange or complete their studies in Spain.

Non-EU students who have been admitted to study or extend their studies in another member state of the European Union may seek to pursue or complete part of their studies in Spain, and are exempted from the obligation to obtain a Spanish visa for their studies. Since they have been studying in other countries in possession of a residence permit, they are allowed to enter Spain without difficulties. Nevertheless, keep in mind that the Residence Permit should not be expired under any circumstances.

Instead of a visa, the student has to apply for a Student Residence Permit. After entering Spain, within the period of one month after the entry, apply for it in the Foreigner’s Office in Madrid. The documents have to be presented personally by the student.

Important: All foreign official documents must be previously legalised and, if necessary, must be translated into Spanish or official language of the territory where the application is submitted.

Visa and Visitor's Permit

Aix-Marseille Université

Prior to arrival at Aix-Marseille University, students will come with the respective paperwork from the 2nd semester partners (NKUA [Greece] or UAM [Spain]), usually a residence permit for study purposes, which will also entitle the student to a French residence permit for study purposes. Two months before the student's departure to Aix-Marseille University, the student should go to the French Consulate to ensure that his/her residence permit allows him/her to study in France.

At AMU, a “welcome bureau” has been dedicated to support mobility (incoming and outgoing students). In this regard, 7 officers from the international relations office are present in Marseille and Aix-en-Provence at the beginning of each semester. They provide guidance for the international students throughout the academic year. They have the technical and administrative capacities necessary to give an informed and considered response regarding visa regulations, security measures and health. This Bureau works in partnership with the Prefecture, the OFII (French Agency in charge of immigration and integration) and the CROUS (providing a wide range of service including accommodation on campus, financial aid for housing, job offers for students). In that way, the services offered to the international students are more efficient to perform the admissions and administrative formalities required to be enrolled at Aix-Marseille University.

LUISS Guido Carli

Non-EU students who are staying in in Italy for more than 90 days must apply for a residence permit (permesso di soggiorno) no later than 8 working days from their arrival in Italy. How to obtain the Permit of stay for study reasons:

Step 1: complete the yellow kit available at Post Offices with the Sportello Amico service. However, you will receive a yellow kit from the LUISS Welcome Desk during welcome day. Once completed, you can deliver the kit to the authorized post offices, along with the following documentation: 1) your passport, 2) a copy of all pages of your passport(blank pages included), 3) a copy of the letter of acceptance to your degree course/ program, 4) a copy of your health insurance policy, valid on Italian territory and for the entire duration of the residence permit you have applied for. At the post office you will be given a receipt with user id and password, with which you can check the status of your application.

The receipt includes information on the date when you will have to go to the Police Headquarters (Questura) to submit the second part of your application. It is very important that you keep this receipt with you at all the time, since it will allow you to stay legally in Italy until you will obtain the official permit of stay (permesso di soggiorno). Moreover, the receipt will allow you to keep track of the status of your request through the user ID and password indicated, by consulting the Immigration website, under the Area riservata stranieri section.

Step 2: the Immigration Office will contact the student by priority mail to set up an appointment to submit the below documentation and in order to have your fingerprint taken. The Immigration Office’s address at Police Headquarters (Questura) is: Via San Vitale 15 – 00184, Rome. To proceed you will need: the priority mail the Immigration Office sent you (the receipt given by the post office is enough)plus the four items mentioned in Step 1 and 4 recent passport-size photographs.

Step 3: a second appointment will be set up to collect the electronic Residence Permit. Please note that obtaining the Permit generally takes from 2 to 3 months and you need to return to the Police Office (Questura) in Via San Vitale 15 to collect it when it is ready. The cost of obtaining your residence permit, duty stamps included, is approx €160. Please consider the main differences (and different purpose) between a student visa and a residence permit. 

Setting up for your arrival

Instituto de Ciências Sociais

EU Citizens

Students from all Member States of the European Union (EU) must have a valid ID card. European Union citizens staying in Portugal for longer than 90 days, should request a residence card from the Immigration and Borders Service (SEF) within 3 months after their arrival. All EU citizens are entitled to this card, which is valid for one year and can be extended annually.

Non-EU Citizens

All students that are non-EU citizens must obtain a study visa from the Portuguese Consulate located in their home country prior to traveling to Portugal. In order to have a student visa granted, an acceptance letter from ICS-ULisbon is necessary. The study visa is only valid for the expected duration of the study period, and/or up to one year. It is recommended that the request for the study visa at the Portuguese Consulate is made at least two months in advance, prior to the date of arrival in Lisbon. It is suggested that students carry with them an entry record (Declaration of Entry), for the first three days after their arrival in Portugal. It is recommended that all exchange students both EU and non-EU citizens are always in possession of their identification documents. Under the terms of the Schengen Agreement for border-free travel amongst people within the Schengen area, students in possession of a visa from a Schengen State do not need to obtain another visa.