Sample reading list
- Baumeister, Martin and Roberto Sala (eds) Southern Europe? Italy, Spain, Portugal and Greece from the 1950s until the present day. Campus Verlag, Frankfurt-am-Main
- Featherstone, Kevin & George Kazamias (2000) ‘Introduction: Southern Europe and the Process of ‘Europeanization’’, South European Society and Politics, 5:2, 1-24
- Ferrera, Maurizio (1996) “The ‘Southern model’ of welfare in Social Europe”, Journal of European Social Policy 6(1): 17-37.
- Gibson, H (eds) (2001) Economic Transformation, Democratisation and Integration into the European Union. Southern Europe in Comparative Perspective. Palgrave Macmillan
- González-Enríquez, Carmen and Anna Triandafyllidou. 2009. ‘Comparing the New Hosts of Southern Europe’ European Journal of Migration and Law, 11(2): 109–118.
- Gunther, Richard, P. Nikiforos Diamandouros, and Dimitri A. Sotiropoulos, Democracy and the State in the New Southern Europe 2006 OUP
- Lijphart, Arend, Thomas C. Bruneau, P. Nikiforos Diamandouros & Richard Gunther (1988) ‘A Mediterranean model of democracy? The Southern European democracies in comparative perspective’, West European Politics, 11(1): 7-25
- Linz, Juan J. and Alfred Stepan. 1996. Problems of Democratic Transition and Consolidation: Southern Europe, South America, and Post-Communist Europe, Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Magone, Jose M. (2003).The Politics of Southern Europe: Integration into the European Union. Westport: Greenwood Press.
- Matthias Matthijs (2014) ‘Mediterranean Blues: The Crisis in Southern Europe’ Journal of Democracy, 25(1): 101-115
- McLaren, Lauren M. (2008, 2010). Constructing Democracy in Southern Europe: A comparative analysis of Italy, Spain and Turkey. London: Taylor & Francis Ltd Routledge.
- Morlino, Leonardo and Francesco Raniolo. 2017. The Impact of the Economic Crisis on South European Democracies. Palgrave.
- Santos, Ana Christina (2013) Social Movements and Sexual Citizenship in Southern Europe Palgrave Macmillan
- Sapelli Giulio (1995) Southern Europe: Politics, Society and Economics Since 1945. Tradition and Modernity in Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey. Longman
- Van Biezen, Ingrid. 2003. Political parties in new democracies: party organization in Southern and East-Central Europe, Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, esp. Chapters 1 and 2
- South European Society and Politics
- Mediterranean Politics
- Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies