Research title: Adopting a comprehension-first pedagogy for programming in a national school system
As Computer Science students progress with their education, they are expected to program using programming concepts found in different programming languages. My research aims to uncover how students gradually transfer and improve their understanding of these concepts as they switch languages. I have developed a model of programming language transfer for relative novices and a pedagogy aligned with this model predictions that will enhance second programming language learning outcomes.
- Local organising committee: UKICER '21: United Kingdom & Ireland Computing Education Research conference.September 2021
- Local organising committee: 14th Workshop in Primary and Secondary Computing Education (WiPSCE'19), Glasgow, Scotland, 23-25 Oct 2019
- Member of a Working Group: ITiCSE '19: Proceedings of the 2019 ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science EducationJuly 2019
- Paper Presentation: ITiCSE '20: Proceedings of the 2020 ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science EducationJune 2020
- Local organising committee and Dicussion Chair: UKICER '20: United Kingdom & Ireland Computing Education Research conference.September 2020
- Paper presentation: UKICER '20: United Kingdom & Ireland Computing Education Research conference.September 2020
- Session Chair: CSEdgrad Conference
- Paper presentation: ICER '20: Proceedings of the 2020 ACM Conference on International Computing Education Research. August 2020
- Paper presentation: Cambridge Computing Education Research Symposium, 2020.
- Doctoral Consortium: ICER '19: Proceedings of the 2019 ACM Conference on International Computing Education Research, July 2019
Computing Science 1F- Computing Fundamentals (Tutor)
- Reviewed for Journal of Computer Science Education
- Reviewer for Heliyon Journal
- Member of SIGCSE 2022 Global Committee
- My research was featured in Mark Guzdial's Communications of ACM blog
- Raspberry Pi newsletter put a spotlight on my research on conceptual transfer in programming languages.
- My research featured in the The National Centre for Computing Education blog whichis and organisation that marks a significant investment in improving the provision of computing education in England.
- Part-time researcher on the CSEd project under the SageFox Consulting Group.