NERC IAPETUS2 PhD Student
SUERC, Rankine Avenue, Scottish Enterprise Technology Park, East Kilbride, G75 0QF
Research title: High resolution palaeoenvironmental reconstruction from Lake Suigetsu, Japan (IAP2-18-54)
My research examines changes to the East Asian palaeomonsoon across periods of dramatic warming using the varved sediments from Lake Suigetsu, Japan. The focus of my work is detecting changes in monsoon intensity across glacial terminations I (22-10 ka BP) and II (135-120 ka BP).
I aim to produce records of East Asian Summer Monsoon and East Asian Winter Monsoon intensity by using isotopes of hydrogen (from biomarkers) and oxygen (from diatoms).
Alongside this work, I am involved in monitoring modern water isotopes at Lake Suigetsu and developing an OSL (optically stimulated luminescence) chronology for the cores.
School of Geographical and Earth Science conference support grant
British Geological Survey British Universities Funding Intiative student support grant
National Environment Isotope Facilty Panel C support for diatom oxygen analysis from Lake Suigetsu
Scottish Alliance for Geoscience, Environment and Society postgraduate support scheme grant
Daiwa Foundation Award (Named PhD Student)
Quaternary Research Association New Research Workers' Award
School of Geographical and Earth Sciences equipment support grant
Quaternary Research Association (QRA) Annual Discussion Meeting (Jan 2019)
Scottish Alliance for Geoscience, Environment and Society (SAGES) Global Climate Challenges for a Blue Green Economy (Dec 2019)
Quaternary Research Association (QRA) Annual Discussion Meeting (Jan 2020)
Poster Presentation entitled "Tracing State Shifts in the Cheshire Basin over the Last Glacial-Interglacial Cycle"
Lake Suigetsu Varves Discussion Meeting (Jan 2020)
Oral Presentation entitled "Tracing State Shifts in the Cheshire Basin over the Last Glacial-Interglacial Cycle"
European Geoscience Union (EGU) General Assembly (May 2020)
This UofG PhD Life (Jan 2021)
Oral Presentation entitled "Lab and Field: Data Collection Pre- and Post- Pandemic"
British Geological Survey BUFI Science Festival (Jun 2021)
Poster Presentation and Flash Talk entitled "Examining East Asian Winter Monsoon Intensity at Lake Suigetsu, Japan"
Runner up, BGS Staff Poster Competition
University of Glasgow LEADS Annual Learning and Teaching Conference (Jun 2021)
Oral Presentation entitled "Community and the Pandemic PhD: Reaching Researchers During Lockdown"
University of Glasgow Science Slam (Jun 2021)
Oral Presentation entitled "Monsoons in Japan- sum-mer rainy and winter's snow joke"
UK Council for Graduate Education (UKCGE) Annual Conference (Jul 2021)
Workshop entitled "PGR Interns: Researcher Development's Secret Weapon in the Year of the Pandemic PhD"
British Organic Geochemistry Society Conference (Jul 2021)
Flash Talk entitled "Examining East Asian Summer Monsoon Intensity at Lake Suigetsu, Japan"
Runner up, Student Flash Talk Competition
16th International Luminesence and Electron Spin Resonance Dating Conference (LED2021) (Sep 2021)
Oral Presentation entitled "Controls on luminescence signals in lake sediment cores: a study from Lake Suigetsu, Japan"
This UofG PhD Life (Oct 2021)
Oral Presentation entitled "Organisation and Time Management During Your PhD"
IAPETUS2 DTP Student Conference (Nov 2021)
Poster Presentation entitled "Examining East Asian Winter Monsoon Intensity at Lake Suigetsu, Japan"
2022 International Research Conference on Suigetsu Varves
Oral Presentation entitled "Analytical results of modern isotopes in water from the Mikata-goko catchment, Japan"
2022 SUERC Student Conference
Oral Presentation entitled "A High-Resolution Palaeoenvironmental Reconstruction from Lake Suigetsu, Japan"
Lab Demonstrator, Earth Science 1 (EARTH1001)
Lab Leader, Earth Science 1 (EARTH1001)
Physical Geography Tutor, Geography 2 (GEOG2001)
Tutor, Widening Participation Geographical and Earth Sciences Summer School
Physical Geography Tutor, Geography 2 (GEOG2001)
GTA, Learning Enhancement and Academic Development Service (LEADS)
Climate and Carbon Literacy Upskilling Course
Public lecture or talk
- 2021 (Concluded): Science Slam
- 2020 (Concluded): Fukui Prefectural Varve Museum Outreach Event
- 2020 (Concluded): Birmingham Museums Twitter Takeover
- Quaternary Research Association (QRA)
- Scottish Alliance for Geoscience, Environment and Society (SAGES)
- Science and Engineering Graduate School Student Liason Committee (2020-2021, 2021-2022)
- Science and Engineering Graduate School Board (2021-2022)
- Geographical and Earth Sciences Equality and Diversity Committee (2020)
- Media and Comms Volunteer, Apr 2022 - Aug 2022 (Computer Science Academy Africa)
- Communications Officer, Jan 2022 - Apr 2022 (Research and Innovation Services, University of Glasgow)
- PGR Office Intern, Oct 2020 - Dec 2021 (Research and Innovation Services, University of Glasgow)
- Meet the Intern: Charlie Rex
- Going Global: Collaborating Internationally During Your PhD
- Staying Safe in Glasgow
- What's New? Labwork After Lockdown
- Snow White and the Seven Supervisors: Managing Your Team
- Reflecting on my First Year as a GTA
- "Oh, I Know You From Twitter": Social Media for PGRs
- Making the Most of Induction Week