What to Do if Involved in an Incident

  • Stop the vehicle as soon as possible – it's an offence not to do so.
  • Turn off the engine.
  • Switch the hazard lights on.
  • Check for any injuries to yourself or your passengers.
  • Call the police and an ambulance immediately if anyone is hurt or if the road is blocked.
  • If it's a minor collision and there are no injuries, make a note of it in case the 3rd party claim for an injury.
  • Try to remain as calm as possible – its normal to be shaken after an accident/incident, take a few deep breaths and try to take stock of the situation the best you can.
  • Do not apologise or admit responsibility for the accident/incident until you're completely aware of what happened. This could protect you from liability if it was not your fault.
  • No admission of liability, either written or verbal, should be offered. Money should not be offered (or accepted) as payment toward accident repair.


When to Call the Police:

  • If the other driver or drivers leave the scene without giving details.
  • If you think the other driver has no insurance or is under the influence of drink or drugs.
  • If you suspect that the other driver caused the collision deliberately.
  • Tell the police about the accident/incident within 24 hours – if you don't you may be given a fine, points on your licence or a disqualification from driving.
  • Exchange motoring details.
  • Share your name and the University address with everyone involved in the accident caused damage or injury – the law says you must do this.
  • Note down details of any other passengers and witnesses to the accident/incident.
  • Try to find out if the other driver is the registered owner of the vehicle, if they are not, find out who the owner is and get that information too (for instance, it might be a company car).


What Information to Record at The Accident/Incident Scene:

  • The make, model, colour, and number plate of the vehicles involved in the accident/incident.
  • The time and date of the accident/incident.
  • The driving conditions, including the weather, lighting, and road quality (such as road markings, whether it's wet or muddy, condition of the road surface).
  • What sort of damage was caused to vehicles/property and where – e.g. nearside front wing and door (nearside is the passenger's side of your vehicle, offside is the driver's side).
  • Any injuries to drivers, passengers, or pedestrians.
  • The names and contact details of any witnesses.
  • Use your mobile phone to take pictures of the scene, the positions of the cars involved, and damage to the vehicles.
  • If no one else is involved in the accident/incident, e.g. you caused damage to private property or a parked car, you should leave a note where the owner can see it with your details. If you leave the scene of an accident/incident without leaving your details, you could be prosecuted.
  • It is the driver's responsibility to complete a Motor Vehicle Incident Report giving details of any accident/incident involving a University vehicle or hired vehicle on University business, no matter how minor. The report must be completed and submitted to Transport Services as soon as possible. (see link below)
  • Drivers are reminded that they are legally obliged to inform their personal insurance provider of any accidents/incidents resulting in an insurance claim.
  • All insurance claims are always submitted in the name of the driver. Report a Motor Vehicle Incident.


Vehicle Breakdown

If a mechanical problem occurs:

  • Within the Glasgow area during regular working hours (Monday-Friday, 08:00-16:15): Contact Transport Services for advice or assistance on 0141 330 5330 or ecs-business-hub@glasgow.ac.uk.
  • Out with the Glasgow area, or out with regular working hours: Contact the Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Service with whom the University has a membership. Contact details below.

The AA:

Customer no. 10758693


Fleet vehicles (not Minibus):

0800 420 420


0800 374 457

In all breakdowns-incidents, it is the driver's responsibility to contact Transport Services as soon as possible: 0141 330 5330

This service will provide the following: Roadside Assistance/Home Start/Relay/ Onward Travel.

Relay: For vehicles up to 7 passengers (the vehicle and driver must return to the University).

Onward Travel: For Minibuses only. The breakdown service will provide a vehicle, for a driver and up to 13 passengers, to a single UK destination (one way only).


Repairs by local garages are not permitted without the express consent of Transport Services.


If your vehicle breaks down:

  • Think of all other road users and get your vehicle off the road if possible.
  • Warn other traffic by using your hazard warning lights if your vehicle is causing an obstruction.
  • Help other road users see you by wearing light-coloured or fluorescent clothing in daylight and reflective clothing at night or in poor visibility.
  • Put a warning triangle on the road at least 45 metres (147 feet) behind your broken-down vehicle on the same side of the road or use other permitted warning devices if you have them. Always take great care when placing or retrieving them. Never use them on the motorway. A warning triangle can be found within all University vehicles.
  • If possible, keep your sidelights on if it is dark or visibility is poor.
  • Do not stand (or let anybody else stand) between your vehicle and oncoming traffic.
  • At night or in poor visibility, do not stand where you will prevent other road users from seeing your lights.


If a breakdown occurs on the motorway:

  • Pull on to the hard shoulder and stop as far to the left as possible, with your wheels turned to the left.
  • Try to stop near an emergency telephone (situated at approximately one-mile intervals along the hard shoulder).
  • Leave the vehicle by the left-hand door and ensure your passengers do the same. Never attempt to place a warning triangle on a motorway.
  • Do not put yourself in danger by attempting even simple repairs.
  • Ensure that passengers keep away from the carriageway and hard shoulder and that children are kept under control.
  • Walk to an emergency telephone on your side of the carriageway (follow the arrows on the posts at the back of the hard shoulder) – the telephone is free of charge and connects directly to an operator. Use these in preference to a mobile phone as help will arrive quicker. Always face the traffic when you speak on the phone.
  • Give full details to the operator; also inform them if you are a vulnerable motorist such as disabled, older or travelling alone.
  • Return and wait near your vehicle (well away from the carriageway and hard shoulder)
  • If you feel at risk from another person, return to your vehicle by a left-hand door and lock all doors. Leave your vehicle again as soon as you feel this danger has passed.