Minibus Hires

Important Information

When hiring or driving a minibus on University business, a Section 19 Bus Permit must be on display at all times.

Only staff and students that have been assessed and authorised by Transport Services are permitted to hire and drive University minibuses on behalf of the University. 

For all external hires, a Section 19 Permit must be obtained from Transport Services before the hire commences.

The University’s Motor Insurance will not cover anyone who fails to comply with these regulations.

Drivers of minibuses and vehicles of more than 8 seats who have only Category ‘B’ driving licence entitlement are forbidden to drive vehicles with a Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of over 3500kg, or drive such vehicles outside the UK. This includes all 17-seat buses and some of the newer 15-seat buses.

If you are unsure what vehicles you are entitled to drive, please contact Transport Services for advice on


Minibus Licence Requirements

Pre-1997 Driving Licence Holders - Category D/D1 Driving Licence

Individuals can drive minibuses with up to 16 seats, with a Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of over 3500kg under the Permit Schemes if their entitlement to do so (Category D1, not for hire or reward) remains in force. For example, their entitlement has not been revoked on medical grounds or has expired at 701.

Post-1997 Driving Licence Holders - Category B Driving Licence

Individuals can drive minibuses if they can comply with the following:

  1. They drive on behalf of a non-commercial body for social purposes, but not for hire or reward (unless operating under a permit);
  2. They are aged 21 or over;
  3. They have held a car (category B) licence for at least 2 years;
  4. They are providing their service voluntarily;
  5. The Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of the vehicle is not more than 3500Kg;
  6. They do not tow a trailer