Insurance for cyclists

Insurance for cyclists

Car drivers, who use their own vehicles on University business, sign a declaration that their vehicles are insured for business use, are legally compliant, and that the driver has a valid driving licence. They also have to take a test when using vehicles that form part of the University fleet. For cyclists, there is nothing comparable. So far there are no tests designed to prove the competence in bike use for cyclists at the University, and there is also no special 'active commuter' insurance available.

How can cyclists make sure that they are on 'the safe side' ?

The following is recommended:

1.  Cyclists should check with their insurer if accidents during cycling (at work or not) are covered by their existing accidental damage policy. He/she should consider adding such cover. 

2.  Cyclists should ensure that their bicycle is road-worthy. If possible, all records/receipts for bicycle repairs and maintenance should be kept. Use common sense – never use a bicycle if it is not working properly, for your own good.