Latest Scottish Government Level 4 Measures
Issued: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 10:00:00 GMT
In order to suppress the incidence of Covid-19 in Scotland, the First Minister has announced this week that Level 4 restrictions will be applied in 11 local authority areas, including Glasgow and East Dunbartonshire. These changes will move the University’s Gilmorehill and Garscube campuses into Protection Level 4; the Dumfries campus remains at Level 2.
The new measures will last from 18:00 on Friday (20 November) until 18:00 on Friday 11 December. There are more details are available on the Scottish Government website.
We wanted to clarify how these changes might affect you and campus operations.
It has been indicated that these new guidelines will not stop ‘essential research’ activities; but we will update you all as soon as possible when we have clarification.
In-person teaching continues to be permitted for the delivery of critical and time-sensitive learning, assessments and work placements that cannot be delivered remotely or postponed.
Library and Study Spaces
Library facilities and study spaces on campus will remain open and available for use. If you visit the Library and study spaces, please be aware of new guidelines and restrictions in place:
- If you can wear a face covering, keep it on at all times.
- The Library is open for individual study only.
- Only sit in spaces marked with a green sticker and do not move furniture.
- Keep a two-metre distance from others.
- Maintain good hand hygiene and use the cleaning stations available.
- Take all possessions with you when you leave.
Full details of Library opening hours and study spaces available across campus are available on the Library webpages.
As was the case in Level 3, you are advised not to make unnecessary journeys. More guidance is available on the Scottish Government website.
We know many of you will be thinking ahead to Christmas and we will be in touch soon about pre-Christmas asymptomatic testing for those who need to travel home over the holidays. Please continue to check your student email for updated advice on this.
The following services and spaces will close and/or operations will cease at or before 18:00 on Friday 20 November:
- Glasgow University Union and Queen Margaret Union(already closed)
- Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery
- In-person meetings of student clubs and societies
- UofG Food catering outlets – but the Library and Gilchrist Cafés will be open for takeaway only
- Sports facilities in the Stevenson Building and at Garscube
- Gift Shop (website remains open for online orders)
The Students’ Representative Council and their services will remain operational after Friday 20 November, however the McIntyre Building will close. Full details of the SRC’s services and contact details can be found on the SRC website.
Although the new measures are temporary, we understand these are extremely challenging times. If you are finding things tough your wellbeing is affected or if you simply need someone to talk to we have a huge range of support available for you.
Please continue to take care of yourself and those around you at this difficult time.