The University of Glasgow has been recognised for its world-leading research and the positive impact it has on society, by the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021.
The results highlight Glasgow’s position as a world-changing university which produces research of global and national importance. Our REF results reflect the culmination of years of work and the collective effort of our researchers, professional staff and partners.
- 1st in Scotland for Grade Point Average.
- 1st in Scotland for research outputs.
- 13th in the Russell Group for research power.
- 5th in Russell Group for 4* research outputs, up from 20th in 2014.
- In the College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences, 95% of the research submission was deemed as ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally-excellent’. All MVLS Units of Assessment submitted were in the top 5 in UK for 4* research outputs.
- In the College of Science & Engineering, six out of seven units have a research environment that was assessed as 100% 'world-leading' or 'internationally excellent', reflecting the commitment to supporting a positive research culture and investing in early career researchers.
- Across all six Units of Assessment in the College of Social Sciences, 90% or higher of research was assessed as ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’.
- In the College of Arts, two-thirds of environment and impact was recognised as 'world-leading' or 'internationally excellent'.
- Maths came 1st in the Russell Group and Scotland for 4* impact from research.
- Law came 1st in the Russell Group, Scotland and the UK for 4* research outputs.
- English came 1st in the Russell Group, Scotland and the UK for 4* environment.