Many University activities result in the production of waste chemicals. These may range from cleaning materials to specialist chemicals used in research. Anyone producing or managing waste chemicals is legally required to take a level of care that is clearly defined, this is known as 'duty of care'. A higher level of care is required if the chemical has the potential to cause harm to people or to the environment. Hazardous waste chemicals are known as Special Waste.

The University has appointed an approved supplier for the disposal of chemical waste. Information on how to obtain a quotation for disposal and a suitable form is available in Quick Links on this page. If you need to dispose of an ‘unknown’ chemical you should use the Unknown Chemical Quotation Form when requesting a quotation of cost for disposal. The less information available about the waste the higher the disposal cost is likely to be and so the purpose of this form is to gather as much information as possible. If you are unsure about safely identifying answers to the questions on the form you should contact the University Chemical Safety Adviser who will provide advice.

It is important to remember that the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) apply to waste chemicals and that the requirements of COSHH should be met when handling or storing them. Advice on COSHH can be obtained from SEPS Chemical Safety Adviser.