Moodle upgrade 2020
Moodle upgrade dates
- Wednesday 24 June - Tuesday 30 June: Capacity upgrade.
Moodle will remain available during the above period, but there is a minor risk of service disruption.
- Tuesday 7 July, 9am - 12pm: Moodle Storage upgrade
- Tuesday 21 July, 9am - 12pm: Moodle 3.8 upgrade
Moodle will be unavailable / at risk on the above dates and times so that IT Services can carry out the core upgrade activities.
The University is upgrading from Moodle 3.7 to Moodle 3.8 this summer. You’ll notice some design and interface changes.
Improvements for everyone
Blackboard Ally enables you to access course content in different accessible formats.
Please note that upload of new files to Blackboard Ally is disabled in the test version.
- Star your favourite courses from within a course
- More ways to reorder your favourite courses
Calendar and reminders
- Filter your calendar by day, month or upcoming event
- Improved reminders layout
Dashboard - Course Overview Block
The tabbed ‘Glasgow Course Dashboard’ block will be replaced by the Standard Moodle Course Overview Block. The standard block comes with improved filter capabilities.
You’ll receive an alert to extend your session if there’s been no activity for a while.
Improvements for course administrators
Blackboard Ally will assess course materials’ accessibility and provide recommendations on how to improve them. More on Blackboard Ally.
Similarity checking - Turnitin replaces Urkund
Turnitin replaces Urkund for similarity checking on Moodle Assignments. Advance notification of the removal of the Urkund Service was communicated last year.
It is now crucial that any active course assignments that still have the Urkund setting enabled are updated as soon as possible.
No Urkund similarity reports will be available to staff or students after the Moodle upgrade date of 21 July.
If you are unclear about any of the above, please raise a support ticket for guidance as soon as possible to avoid any potential problems with your content.
Incorporate interactive media, slideshows and videos created in H5P into your Moodle pages, books and lessons through the Atto editor.
Assignment Submission Report changes
- For assignments where extensions are permitted, you can now add extensions of whole days directly from within the Assignment Submission Report.
- For assignments with 'blind marking' enabled, the Participant Number is now shown in its own column.
- Assess student forum contributions
- Export forum discussions
- View a detailed summary report of student activity
- View Question ID numbers and tags
- New Edit menu for Quiz creation and management
Access frequently used admin functions without having to navigate to the menu listing.