Using EndNote and EndNote Basic
EndNote is a useful way of keeping track of your reading and creating references and bibliographies for your assignments. It enables you to record the details of the books, journal articles and other information you have used for your research. The versions available are:
- EndNote Basic: available through Web of Science and is the best option for undergraduate students. You can access this using your GUID then registering for a personal Web of Science account.
- EndNote: available for use on PCs on campus and is an option for academics and postgraduate students. If you want to use EndNote on your own pc/laptop, you can request a personal copy of the software. You can use the desktop version of EndNote in conjunction with the online version.
Getting started with EndNote Basic
- To use EndNote Basic access Web of Science. Log in with your GUID.
- Sign up for a Web of Science account (if you’ve not done so already)
- Select EndNote from the Tools menu and sign in if required.
- Choose ‘Show getting started guide’ for information on how to collect references and format your bibliography.
- Some databases the Library subscribes to enable you to search and send references to your EndNote Basic database. This is done using the Export function – see the Help section in the database you are using for more help.
- To use the Cite While you Write feature with Word on your own computer, you will need to download and install a plug-in from EndNote Basic. This allows you to view the EndNote Basic toolbar in a Word document.
- For detailed help with EndNote Basic, click on the Help button in the top right hand corner of the screen.