This webpage provides guidance to some of the issues you may encounter when dealing with copyright in relation to your academic or professional practice, whether you’re an academic, student or researcher.
Disclaimer: The information contained within this page and associated resources (documents, videos and learning objects), should not be considered legal advice.
For enquiries and to arrange a copyright session contact email@example.com.
Text based copyright resources
CREATe bring together an interdisciplinary team of academics from law, economics, and other disciplines.
The resources below are all downloadable Word documents:
Content for UofG staff, students and researchers
- Brief explanation UK blanket licences for institutions
- Copyright Basics: What is Copyright (Uk Law), Fair Dealing and UK Copyright Exceptions?
- Creative Commons basics: licences and attribution
- Length of various copyright protected works (UK Law)
- Obtaining permission to use somes else's copyright protected work (print, audio, and film)
- Online sources for Copyright free; images, audio, video and Open Access materials
- Orphan Works (when owner of work(s) cannot be identified)
- Social Media
- Using other people's work
Content for UofG staff
- Copright basics and FAQ (UofG staff)
- Use of videos in online teaching materials (UofG staff)
- Making use of images in online & face-to-face teaching materials (UofG staff)
- Using text based materials in online teaching and learning materials (UofG staff
Content for UofG students and researchers
Video based copyright resources
University of Glasgow created content
Short videos (under 5 mins).
- How to search for images effectively online
- How to to use reverse image search engine Tineye
- UK copyright licences available to the education sector
- UK Fair Dealing
- UK Copyright exceptions
Longer videos (15 - 33 mins) that cover specific areas of UK copyright and the University subscription to Box of Broadcasts.
Links to resources and services
Links to University of Glasgow content
- Box of Broadcasts (UofG information page)
- Copyright Inofrmation if you intend to make use of materials found on the University's World Changing website
- Copyright User
- Copyright User FAQ
- CREATe at University of Glasgow
- Kaltura video service (UofG information page)
- Reading Lists @ Glasgow
- Using external sources in your MOOC page
- University of Glasgow Intellectual Property and Commercialisation Policy (PDF)
- University of Glasgow Intellectual Property Rights guidance
Links to external content
The tiles below contain links to self-paced learning objects, which provide detailed information about specific areas of Copyright and Creative Commons.
Can I use?
Find out how the fair dealing exceptions can be used to defend the use of types of media within teaching materials.
Copyright Card Game
This is primarily a interactive game, which includes some information on, licences, works, uses and assessing risk.