Leo I, Pont. Max: Sermones.
Edited by Johannes Andreas de Bussis.
[Rome: Johannes Philippus de Lignamine, before 21 Sept. 1470]
Fol. [14 2-910 108 11-1510 168 1710].  leaves, the first and last blank.
ISTC il00128500; Goff L131; BMC IV 29; Bod-inc L-063.
Two copies held by University of Glasgow.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll T.C.L. f12 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Note:||19th-century printed title-page inserted with imprint “Romę E Prelo Conradi Sweynheim et Arnoldi Pannartz MCCCCLXX”.|
|Provenance:||Louis XVIII (1755-1824), King of France (possible owner, rather than one of his immediate predecessors of the same name): five spine compartments are tooled with a stamp of the royal arms of France: a shield bearing three fleurs-de-lys, which is surmounted by a crown also incorporating fleurs-de-lys and surrounded by the collar of the Ordre du Saint-Esprit – the latter includes the badge of the Order, a Maltese cross, here flanked on each side by the initial ‘L’ (no exact replica found in Olivier, 2495-8).
Free Church College Library, Glasgow (later Trinity College Library), founded 1856: Trinity College Library bookplate and shelfmark “40 B 5” in pencil on front free endpaper; source unknown.
University of Glasgow: Trinity College Library placed on permanent deposit in University of Glasgow Library in 1974 by the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland.
|Binding:||France, 18th/19th-century mottled calf; gold-tooled spine - see Provenance; red leather title label on spine; sprinkled red-edged leaves; vellum guard-strips in the middle of each gathering. Size: 326 x 230 mm.|
|Leaf size:||318 x 223 mm.|
|Annotations:||Occasional pointing hands and “nota” marks.|
|Decoration:||On 2/1r (f. 5r) a six-line initial “L” is supplied in gold on a square ground of white-vine decoration defined in crimson, blue and green, which extends into the inner, upper and lower margins - the decoration of the lower margin incorporates an unfilled green laurel wreath edged in gold; on 8/3r (f. 67r) a six-line initial “S” is supplied in gold on a square ground of white-vine decoration, which extends into the inner margin; on 12/10r (f. 112r) a three-line initial “S” is supplied in gold on a square ground of green and blue embellished with white filigree-work, and with sprays of gold flower buds extending into the inner margin; on 13/7r (f. 119r) a six-line initial “O” (in error for “H”) is supplied in gold on a square ground of white-vine decoration, which extends into the inner margin; a similarly decorated six-line initial “O” is supplied on 14/5v (f. 127v); other initials supplied in blue throughout.|
|Imperfections:||Wanting the first and final blank leaves.|
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian Bf.1.13 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Provenance:||Eroli family, Italy (15th/16th century): on 2/1r (f. 5r) is a partially identified coat of arms - per pale, the dexter side per fess gules and argent (oxidised), three ivy leaves vert two and one (Eroli family), the sinister side azure a bend argent (oxidised) an eight-pointed mullet or in chief (unidentified). An identical coat of arms is to be found in the Hunterian copy of another work from the same press: Ambrosius, De officiis. [Rome: Johannes Philippus de Lignamine, ca. 1471] (shelfmark Bw.2.11).
Louis Jean Gaignat (1697-1768), Secretary to King Louis XV: Gaignat sale, 1769; lot 248 in Guillaume de Bure, 'Bibliographie instructive: supplément ... ou catalogue des livres de feu M. L.J. Gaignat', 2 vols (Paris: 1769).
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: purchased by Hunter at the Gaignat sale through his agent, Jean-Baptiste Dessain, for 68 livres 1 sou; see 'Dessain-Hunter correspondence' (University of Glasgow Library, MS Gen. 36, f. 24v).
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest, 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “Ak.3.2”.
|Binding:||France, 18th-century red-morocco decorated with triple gold fillets, a small gold fleuron at each corner; gold-tooled spine; marbled endpapers; gilt-edged leaves underlaid with marbling; turquoise silk bookmark; front and rear flyleaves have bunch of grapes watermark. Size: 342 x 237 mm.|
|Leaf size:||332 x 227 mm.|
|Annotations:||Occasional marginal annotations in a 15th/16th-century hand; some chapter headings added in a 16th-century hand; early manuscript signatures; foliated in an early hand “1”-“23” from 1/2-3/10 (ff. 2-24).|
|Decoration:||On 2/1r (f. 5r) a six-line initial “L” is supplied in gold on a square ground of white-vine decoration defined in crimson, blue and green, which extends with gold borders into the inner, upper and lower margins; foliate decoration in blue with gold flower buds in the outer margin of the same page, and the white-vine decoration of the lower margin includes a green laurel wreath edged in gold, within which is a painted coat of arms (see Provenance); on 8/3r (f. 67r) a six-line initial “S” is supplied in gold on a square ground of white-vine decoration, which extends into the inner margin; a similarly decorated six-line initial “H” is supplied on 13/7r (f. 119r) and a six-line initial “O” on 14/5v (f. 127v); smaller initials and paragraph marks supplied in alternate red and blue throughout.|