Scriptores rei militaris.

Edited by Philippus Beroaldus.

Contents:  Sextus Julius Frontinus:  Strategemata;  Flavius Vegetius Renatus:  De re militari;  Aelianus Tacticus:  De instruendis aciebus (translated into Latin by Theodorus Gaza);  [Pseudo-] Modestus:  De vocabulis rei militaris.

Bologna:  Franciscus Plato de Benedictis, 1495-96.
Fol.   AA-EE6 FF4 GG-MM6 N4 O6 PP-RR6.   [98] leaves.
Woodcut diagrams;  Woodcut printer’s device (after first and third colophon).
ISTC is00345000;  Goff S345;  BMC VI 828;  Bod-inc S-121;  GW 10410.

First colophon (FF4r) dated 10 July 1495;  second colophon (N4v) dated 16 Nov. 1495;  third colophon (RR5v) dated 17 Jan. 1496.

Entered under Frontinus by BMC and GW.

Four copies listed in Glasgow Incunabula Project; copies 1, 2 and 3 held by University of Glasgow Library and copy 4 held by Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.

Copy 1

Shelf-mark: Sp Coll  Bh3-e.13 (see main library entry for this item)
Variant: Signatures as Bod-inc and GW, not '... NN4 OO6 ...' as BMC (except that third leaf of gathering O is signed OOiii).
Bound with: The third of three incunabula bound together.   Bound with:  (1) Aulus Gellius, Noctes Atticae.  Venice:  Philippus Pincius, 15 July 1500;  (2) Cleonides, Harmonicum introductorium.  Venice:  Simon Bevilaqua, 3 Aug. 1497.
Provenance: Strassburg, Collegiate Church of New S. Peter, consecrated in 1050, taken over by the Lutherans in 1561:  cf. inscription on A1r of first item in volume “Collegii S. Petri junioris Argentinæ” in a 17th/18th-century hand.
University of Glasgow:  source unknown;  shelfmark “C. f.7. n.1.” on verso of front free endpaper (possibly a University Library shelfmark of the mid-18th century);  later 18th-century shelfmark “T.1.27” on University Library bookplate matching entry in A. Arthur, 'Catalogus impressorum librorum in Bibliotheca Universitatis Glasguensis' (Glasguae:  1791).
Binding: 18th-century calf;  gold-tooled spine;  marbled endpapers;  sprinkled red-edged leaves;  blue silk bookmark.   Size:  297 x 215 mm.
Leaf size: 289 x 209 mm.
Annotations: Frequent marginal annotations (mainly extracting keywords) in red and in black ink in a 16th-century hand - the same hand has annotated the other two works in this volume;  a few keywords extracted in a different early hand;  vertical pair of triangles in ink (hourglass symbol?) on rear free endpaper;  pencil number “121” on front flyleaf;  pencil number “239” on University Library bookplate.
Decoration: None.
Imperfections: Wanting RR6 containing the Registrum.

Typographical diagrams in Scriptores rei militaris


Copy 2

Shelf-mark: Sp Coll  BC17-x.1 (see main library entry for this item)
Variant: Signatures as in copy 1.
Bound with: The first of two works bound together.   Bound with:  Robertus Valturius, De re militari.  Paris:  Chrestien Wechel, 1532.
Provenance: J. Hagenbuch (18th century):  inscription on AA1r “Emtionis jure delet J. Hagenbuch H.T.” following a heavily deleted name.
Captain Rutherfurd, (19th century):  book label on front pastedown “Captain Rutherfurd Royal Engineers”.
Sir William Hamilton (1788-1856), Professor of Logic and Metaphysics, University of Edinburgh:  ownership inscription on front pastedown “Gulielmi Hamiltonii, Scot. Ball. Coll. 1810”.
University of Glasgow:  Hamilton collection donation, 1878.
Binding: Germany, 16th-century blind-tooled pigskin with two brass clasps;  cover decoration consists of five concentric rectangles formed by fillets and rolls (four floral and a fifth with unnamed medallion heads);  titles of both works supplied in ink in top two spine compartments;  red-edged leaves;  manuscript title on fore-edge;  small paper label with  printed (lot or catalogue?) number “1048” at top of spine.   Size:  311 x 217 mm.
Leaf size: 300 x 209 mm.
Annotations: Occasional marginal annotations in Latin (mainly extracting keywords) in a 16th-century hand;  occasional underlining and “nota” marks;  running headline “Iulij Frontini || Liber I [-II]” from AA3v to CC1r.
Decoration: None.
Imperfections: None.

Title-page of Scriptores rei militaris


Copy 3

Shelf-mark: Sp Coll Hunterian Bg.3.14 (see main library entry for this item)
Variant: Signatures as in copy 1.
Provenance: Franciscans - unidentified religious house:  on AA2r a painted shield bearing the Franciscan symbol of the crossed arms of Christ and St Francis - see Decoration.
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist:  source unknown.
University of Glasgow:  Hunterian bequest 1807;  Hunterian Museum bookplate and book label on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “X.1.7”.
Binding: Italy(?), 17th-century parchment, red leather title label on spine;  dark green-edged leaves;  green silk bookmark;  front and rear flyleaves have a tête de boeuf watermark accompanied by the letter ‘M’, the head suspended from a cross around which is entwined a serpent (cf. Briquet 15390 for similar).   Size: 313 × 216 mm.
Leaf size: 308 x 213 mm.
Annotations: Signs of heavily washed-out early marginal annotations in gatherings MM-RR.
Decoration: In the lower margin of AA2r is a blue shield edged with red and enclosed within a floral border of crimson, green, blue and yellow - the shield contains the Franciscan symbol of the crossed arms of Christ and St Francis (i.e. the bare arm of Christ and the robed arm of St Francis, with the palm of Christ showing the wound from his Crucifixion and that of St Francis showing his stigmata);  also on AA2r a six-line epigraphic initial “C” is supplied in yellow, orange and blue within a square green border, the body of the letter “C” decorated with a floral motif in crimson, blue and green;  other initials and paragraph marks supplied in alternate red and blue throughout.
Imperfections: None.

Decorated initial and manuscript coat of arms in Scriptores rei militaris

 Copy 4

Accession number: E.1939.65.1428
Variant: Signatures as in copy 1.
Provenance: Edward Shipperdson (1780-1855), of Pittington Hall Garth, Co. Durham: engraved armorial bookplate with motto “Nubem eripiam” (Franks 26774) on front pastedown; source unknown.
Robert Lyons Scott (1871-1939), shipbuilder and collector of armour, Greenock: owner; source unknown. Glasgow, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum: bookplate on recto of front free endpaper “Glasgow Museums & Art Galleries R.L. Scott Collection”; R.L. Scott bequest, 1939.
Binding: 20th-century light brown calf; covers bordered with a double gold fillet; gold-tooled spine; gilt-edged leaves. Size: 305 x 210 mm.
Leaf size: 301 x 205 mm.
Annotations: 20th-century price “4.4.0” in pencil on front pastedown, together with shelfmark “16.F.9”, number “S 6605”, and code “o/n”; 20th-century collator’s note “CP AJC” in pencil on rear pastedown.
Decoration: None.
Imperfections: None.

Scriptores rei militaris - Printer’s device