Lucanus, Marcus Annaeus: Pharsalia.
[Verona: Giovanni and Alberto Alvise, 1478-79]
Fol. [*4] a-n8 o-p6.  leaves, the last blank.
ISTC il00298000; Goff L298; BMC VII 950; Bod-inc L-156
Date taken from ISTC; CIBN (L-233) dates ca. 1479; Bod-inc dates ca. 1479-80.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian Bg.2.28 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Variant:||The last words of lines 3, 13, and 36 of d1r are printed “mundi”, “geloī.”, and “mineuræ.” respectively - as in copies IB 30728 and IB 30726 of BMC VII 950.|
|Provenance:||John Savage (1673-1747), scholar and Church of England clergyman: lot 330 (“Lucan Phars. sl. sa.”) in A catalogue of the libraries ... of the late John Savage, D.D. vicar of Clothal, Hertfordshire ... and of the late Savage Tyndall, D.D. vicar of Barking in Essex (London: Samuel Baker, 1763).
Savage Tyndall (ordained 1734, rector of Elmley, near Sittingbourne, 1751), Church of England clergyman: see above.
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: purchased by Hunter at the Savage & Tyndall sale for £0.7.6 according to the British Library annotated copy of the sale catalogue - shelfmark S.C.S.3*(8).
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “J.4.2”.
|Binding:||England, 18th-century, blind-tooled panelled calf; sprinkled red-edged leaves. Size: 265 x 180 mm.|
|Leaf size:||257 x 172 mm.|
|Annotations:||Occasional underlining, “nota” marks and pointing hands.|
|Decoration:||Initials "C", "B" and "Q" added in ink on a1r.|
|Imperfections:||Wanting gathering [*] and the final blank leaf.|