Hieronymus [pseudo-]: Aureola ex floribus S. Hieronymi contexta.
Add: [Pseudo-] Eusebius Cremonensis: Epistola de morte Hieronymi; [Pseudo-] Aurelius Augustinus: Epistola de magnificentiis Hieronymi; [Pseudo-] Cyrillus: Epistola de miraculis Hieronymi.
[Milan]: Philippus de Lavagnia, 28 Nov. 475.
8vo. [1-128 136 (-13/4) 14-228 232].  leaves. 13/4 cancelled, stub visible conjoint with 13/3.
“The Aureola is the work elsewhere attributed to Lupus de Oliveto (or Olmeto) with title 'Regula monachorum ex Epistolis Hieronymi excerpta' (B. Lambert, ‘Bibliotheca Hieronymiana manuscripta’, IIIb (Steenbrugis: 1970) no. 552; Sack (Freiburg) 2294)” - ISTC.
ISTC ih00157000; Goff H157; BMC VI 702; Bod-inc H-101.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian Bx.3.10 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Variant:||10/2v (f. 74v), line 15: “Explicit”, not as in BMC “Explitit” - cf. CIBN H-93.|
|Provenance:||Giacomo Soranzo (1686-1761), Venetian senator: inscription on front flyleaf “1742 Di Giaco: Soranzo”.
Louis Jean Gaignat (1697-1768), Secretary to King Louis XV: Gaignat sale, 1769; lot 236 in Guillaume de Bure, 'Bibliographie instructive: supplément ... ou catalogue des livres de feu M. L.J. Gaignat,' 2 vols (Paris: 1769).
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: purchased by Hunter at the Gaignat sale through his agent, Jean-Baptiste Dessain, for 9 livres 1 sou; see 'Dessain-Hunter correspondence' (University of Glasgow Library, MS Gen. 36, f. 24v).
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest, 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “Ag.10.25”.
|Binding:||France, 18th-century red morocco decorated with triple gold fillets, a small gold fleuron at each corner; gold-tooled spine; marbled endpapers; gilt-edged leaves; blue silk bookmark. Size: 190 x 134 mm.|
|Leaf size:||185 x 126 mm.|
|Annotations:||Very occasional marginal annotations in a humanist hand (cropped by binder); occasional early “nota” marks; on front flyleaf the number “147” in an 18th-century hand and a code(?) “m.”.|
|Decoration:||On 1/1r a four-line historiated initial “F” in red, blue, black, purple and white, set on a square gold ground and with floral extensions into the margins, depicts St Jerome with cardinal’s hat and halo, holding an open book; on 10/3v (f. 75v) is a five-line initial “R” in purple, green and blue on a square gold ground, with floral extensions into the margins; other initials and paragraph marks supplied in red or blue throughout; capitals and chapter headings washed in yellow throughout.|