Euripides: Tragoediae quattuor.
Medea, Hippolytus, Alcestis, Andromache [Greek].
Edited by Janus Lascaris.
[Florence: Laurentius (Francisci) de Alopa, Venetus, before 18 June 1495]
4to. A-E8 f8 H-K8 K8 Λ8 M2.  leaves.
ISTC ie00115000; Goff E115; BMC VI 667; Bod-inc E-038; GW 9431.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian By.3.27 (see main library entry for this item).|
|Variant:||A3r, line 13: ‘ἘΥΦΡΈΝΕΤΑΙ’ as CIBN; A4r, line 2: ‘ΛΌΓΟΝ’ as CIBN; A5r, line 19: ‘ΤΆΚΟΥ’ as CIBN and BMC IA. 28010.|
|Provenance:||Aegidius Girard, of Orléans (16th century): inscription on A1r “Ægidii Girard Aurelii”.
Claude Fauchet (1530-1602), Président de la Chambre des Monnaies and Historiographe de France: inscription on on A1r 'CLAVDII FAVCHET Paris[iensis] regij consilij' above which, in his hand, is a list of the four plays contained in the volume; also in Fauchet’s hand on the final page “Flore[n]tiae Impressu[m]".
Louis Jean Gaignat (1697-1768), Secretary to King Louis XV: Gaignat sale, 1769; lot 1552 in Guillaume de Bure 'Bibliographie instructive: supplément ... ou catalogue des livres de feu M. L.J. Gaignat', 2 vols (Paris: 1769).
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: purchased by Hunter at the Gaignat sale through his agent, Jean-Baptiste Dessain, for 90 livres; see 'Dessain-Hunter correspondence' (University of Glasgow Library, MS Gen. 36, f.23v).
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest, 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “K.7.10”.
|Binding:||France, 18th-century blue morocco, decorated with triple gold fillets, a small gold fleuron at each corner; gold-tooled spine; gilt-edged leaves; marbled endpapers; pink silk bookmark. Size: 222 x 155 mm.|
|Leaf size:||218 x 151 mm.|
|Annotations:||Copious marginal textual annotations in Greek and Latin in a 16th-century hand in the first three plays ('Medea', 'Hippolytus', 'Alcestis') but not in 'Andromache'; frequent underlining and “nota” marks. In this copy the signatures of gatherings second K, Λ, M have been corrected to Λ, M, N in pen and ink as in the first BMC copy (probably by the printer).|