Duns Scotus, Johannes: Quaestiones in quattuor libros Sententiarum Petri Lombardi.
Edited by Philippus Bagnacavallus.
Venice: Bonetus Locatellus, for Octavianus Scotus, 18 Dec. 1497.
Fol. Part I: A-O8 P10 Q-R8; , 2-137,  leaves, the last blank. Part II: 2A-K8 2L4; , 2-84 leaves. Part III: a-g8 h-i6; , 2-67,  leaves, the last blank. Part IV: aa-tt8 vv-xx6; , 2-163,  leaves, the last blank.
Woodcut initials and diagrams; woodcut printer’s devices.
ISTC id00383000; Goff D383; BMC V 448; Bod-inc D-170; GW 9077.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Ea7-x.8 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Bound with:||The first of two incunabula bound together. Bound with: Duns Scotus, Johannes. Quodlibeta. Venice: Bonetus Locatellus, for Octavianus Scotus, 3 Feb. 1497/98.|
|Provenance:||Hector Boece (c.1465-1536), Scottish philosopher and first Principal of King’s College, Aberdeen: ‘H. Boetius’ on A2r; see Durkan & Ross, 67, 78; heavily deleted inscription on A1r containing what appears to be the name ‘Boetj’.
Alexander Galloway (d. c.1552), canon of Aberdeen, rector of Kinkell: ‘Alexr Gallouay’ on A2r; see Durkan & Ross, 67, 100.
Alexander Anderson (d.1577), Subprincipal, King’s College Aberdeen: ‘Nouum & Regale Collegi[u]m ab[er]done[n]se possidebit post mortem M. Alex[andri] And[er]sone’ on A1r (scored through and previously pasted over); see Durkan & Ross, 67.
P(?) Borne (16th century): inscription on A1r ‘M[agister] P(?) Borne’; see Durkan & Ross, 67.
Robert Simson (1687-1768), Professor of Mathematics, Glasgow University: source unknown.
University of Glasgow: Simson bequest, 1768; shelfmark ‘BI.1.1’ on bookplate matching entry in A. Arthur, Catalogus impressorum librorum in Bibliotheca Universitatis Glasguensis secundum pluteorum ordinem dispositus (Glasguae: 1791), where the shelfmark sequences BG to BM are identified as ‘Catalogus librorum, quos Universitati Glasguensi legavit Robertus Simson ...’
|Binding:||16th-century blind-tooled calf over bevelled wooden boards; covers decorated with a foliate roll within triple fillets to form a panel, which is divided diagonally by triple fillets to produce a pattern of lozenges each containing either a diamond-shaped foliate stamp or a small circular fleur-de-lys stamp; remains of two brass clasps (chased catch plates on front board); edges of the four outer corners protected with brass strips (one on the rear cover now lost); vellum pastedowns (blank); rebacked in 19th/20th century. Size: 333 x 222 mm.|
|Leaf size:||319 x 215 mm.|
|Annotations:||Occasional marginal annotations and “nota” marks in 16th-century hands.|