Justinus, Marcus Junianus: Epitomae in Trogi Pompeii historias.
Edited by Philippus Beroaldus. Revised by Justinianus Romanus. Add: Lucius Annaeus Florus: Epitomae.
[Venice: Johannes Rubeus Vercellensis and Albertinus Vercellensis, after 1489-90]
Fol. a8 b-l6.  leaves, the first blank.
ISTC ij00618500; Goff J621; BMC V 420; Polain(B) 2390.
CIBN and IGI assign to Johannes Rubeus and Albertinus Vercellensis; IGI VI, Goff and BMC assign to Johannes Rubeus Vercellensis alone. IGI VI dates ca. 1498.
Two copies held by the University of Glasgow
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian Dr.2.11 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Variants:||a2r, line 22: “... POMPEII TROGI ...” not as Polain “... TROGI POMPEII ...”; l5v, line 4 of colophon: “... ille Trogi.” not as in Polain “... iste Trogi.”.|
|Bound with:||The second of three incunabula bound together. Bound with: (1) Gellius, Aulus, Noctes Atticae. Venice: Johannes Tacuinus, de Tridino, 6 Apr. 1496; (3) Cicero, Marcus Tullius, De natura deorum. Venice: Simon Bevilaqua, 18 Sept. 1496.|
|Provenance:||Thomas Brigges (fl. 1560): inscription on A1r of first item in volume “Liber Thomae Brigges generosi bonarumq[ue] literarum professoris optimi 1560”.
John Angell (16th/17th century): inscription on A1r of first item in volume “Jo: Angell”.
Sir William Boothby, 2nd Bart., of Broadlow Ash (1638?-1707): on front cover a crest (a lion’s foot erased erect) with legend “Sr. WILLIAM BOOTHBY. KNt. AND BARt. OF ASHBURNE HALL” - see http://armorial.library.utoronto.ca/stamps/BOO003_s4
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: source unknown.
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “Ah.1.11”.
|Binding:||England (Cambridge?), 16th-century blind-tooled calf over wooden boards; both covers have a centre panel formed by an intersecting floral roll bordered by fillets; the panel is divided by intersecting fillets into lozenge and triangular-shaped compartments, the former decorated with either a lozenge-shaped floral stamp or a stamp of a shield bearing the binder’s monogram ‘W G’; see G.D. Hobson, 'Bindings in Cambridge libraries' (Cambridge: 1929), pl. XV, nos. 33, 35, and pp. 46-48 and J.B. Oldham, 'English blind-stamped bindings' (Cambridge: 1952), pl. X, nos 20, 24, and pp. 16-17, remains of two clasps; crest of Sir William Boothby added in blind to front cover - see Provenance; rebacked and given new endpapers; original endpapers and spine covering unrecorded. Size: 326 x 217 mm.|
|Leaf size:||312 x 210 mm.|
|Annotations:||Frequent marginal annotations and occasional corrections in a 17th-century hand in books I-VI of the Justinus (with a few annotations in an earlier hand); the addition of chapter numbers and page or leaf references in a 17th-century hand in the Florus, together with frequent interlinear textual corrections, suggests the text has been collated with a later edition.|
|Decoration:||Capitals of headings on a2r faintly washed in red.|
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian Bg.3.2 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Variant:||a2r, line 22: “... POMPEII TROGI ...” not as Polain “... TROGI POMPEII ...”; l5v, line 4 of colophon: “... ille Trogi.” not as in Polain “... iste Trogi.”.|
|Note:||Inserted at the front in place of the missing blank (a1) is a fabricated title-page (18th century?) with an engraved foliate border and a manuscript title; pasted onto the title-page is an unidentified, hand-coloured coat of arms.|
|Provenance:||Unidentified owner: unidentified coat of arms pasted onto inserted title-page - a shield azure, a fess(?) or between three roses or, a ‘basket’ helm, crest of two eagle’s wings.
Robert Hoblyn (1710-1756), politician: "Bibliotheca Hoblyniana ..." (Londini: 1769) p. 364; Hoblyn sale, 2 Mar. 1778 onwards; lot 4007 in 'Bibliotheca Hoblyniana' ... (London: Baker & Leigh, 1778); with Hoblyn’s acquisition note “3s 3d (α) 1744/5 St” written in ink on inside of front cover; evidence of a shelfmark in ink on inside of front cover (probably Hoblyn’s but now largely obscured by the Hunterian bookplate).
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: purchased by Hunter at the Hoblyn sale along with lot 4008 (“Justini Historia, compact. in corio turcico, Venet. per Phillip. Condom Petre, 1479”) for £1.13.0 according to the annotated BL copy of the Hoblyn sale catalogue - shelfmark S.C.S. 11(4).
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on inner front cover, with former shelfmark “Au.4.1”.
|Binding:||17th-century limp vellum; without pastedowns; spine title in ink; front and rear flyleaves have watermark of three circles arranged vertically and surmounted by a three-pointed crown - the top circle contains a cross fleury, the lower two circles are empty, and from the bottom circle there is suspended a flower (or branch of three leaves?). Size: 293 x 216 mm.|
|Leaf size:||289 x 212 mm.|
|Annotations:||Marginal annotations in a humanist hand (mainly extracting keywords) on a2r and a2v; the number “15” in ink in a later hand on a2r.|
|Imperfections:||Wanting the blank leaf a1.|