Dionysius Periegetes: De situ orbis.
Translated by Antonius Beccaria.
Venice: Franciscus Renner, de Heilbronn, 1478.
4to. a-c8 d-e6.  leaves.
ISTC id00254000; Goff D254; BMC V 195; Bod-inc D-100.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Bk5-g.22 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Bound with:||The second of five incunabula bound together.
Bound with: (1) Mela, Pomponius, Cosmographia, sive De situ orbis. Venice: [Printer of Pomponius Mela], 15 Nov. 1477; (3) Johannes de Sacro Bosco, Sphaera mundi. Venice: Franciscus Renner, de Heilbronn, 1478; (4) Johannes de Erfordia, Computus chirometralis. [Cologne: Johann Koelhoff, the Elder, ca. 1480-85]; (5) Aurelius Victor, Sextus [pseudo-], De viris illustribus. Venice: Andreas de Paltasichis, 5 June 1477.
|Provenance:||For likely early provenances of Henry Gibson (fl. 1553) and John Gibson (16th century), see Mela, Pomponius, Cosmographia, sive De situ orbis, Johannes de Sacro Bosco, Sphaera mundi and Aurelius Victor, Sextus [pseudo-], De viris illustribus items bound up with this work.
Robert Wodrow (1679-1734), minister of Eastwood, ecclesiastical historian and Librarian of the University of Glasgow: inscription on a2r of item 1 bound up with this work (Mela, Pomponius, Cosmographia, sive De situ orbis): “Ex Libris Bibliothecae Universitatis Glasguensis Ex Dono M. Roberti Woddrow Pastoris Ecclesiae de Eastwood 1703”.
University of Glasgow: donated by Wodrow in 1703, and signed on a2r of item 1 bound up with this work (Mela, Pomponius, Cosmographia, sive De situ orbis) by John Stirling (1654-1727), in his capacity as Principal, “Jo: Stirling Principal”; Old Library shelfmark “AF 6 n.21.” on a2r of item 1 matching entry in 'Catalogus librorum Bibliothecae Universitatis Glasguensis anno 1691' (University of Glasgow Library, MS Gen. 1313); shelfmark “AS.2.5” on a2r of item 1 matching entry in A. Arthur, 'Catalogus impressorum librorum in Bibliotheca Universitatis Glasguensis' (Glasguae: 1791).
|Binding:||Late 15th/early16th-century blind-stamped calf over oak boards, bevelled edges; single small brass clasp-plate (all that survives of an original thong clasp); rebacked in African goatskin and restored, with new endpapers and flyleaves, by Anthony Gardner, whose binder’s apologia, dated Apr. 1967, is written on the rear free endpaper and flyleaf; the blind-stamp design consists of a rectangle bordered by triple fillets and divided by triple fillets into lozenges; within each lozenge is a single fleur-de-lis. Size: 205 x 145 mm.|
|Leaf size:||193 x 130 mm.|
|Annotations:||Faded and unread brief (ownership?) inscription on e6v (final blank page): “Iste liber …”|
|Decoration:||Many woodcut initials decorated in red; paragraph marks supplied in red; chapter headings underlined in red; printed paragraph marks in the list of provinces and islands on e5v and e6r are supplied with red strokes.|