Bernardus Silvestris: Epistola de gubernatione rei familiaris.
[Rome: Georgius Lauer, ca. 1470]
4to. .  leaves.
ISTC ib00376000; Goff B376; Polain(B) 613; GW 3963.
Often attributed to Bernardus Claravallensis. The true author is Bernardus Silvestris ('Lexikon für Theologie und Kirche.' 2 Aufl. (Freiburg 1957-67) Bd.2 col.248) - ISTC.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian By.3.26 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Note:||1/1r, line 1: the tentative reading “falici (?)” (rather than GW and Polain’s “felici”) in Copinger 5456 - whose transcription is based on this the Hunterian copy - is due to imperfectly printed letters caused by a paper flaw.|
|Variant:||1/1r, line 4: “... gubernandę. Et” as in Polain(B), not “... gubernande. Et” as in GW.|
|Bound with:||The first of two incunabula bound together. Bound with: Poggius Florentinus, Facetiae. [Rome: Georgius Lauer, ca. 1470].|
|Provenance:||Reverendus Pater Johannes (16th/17th-century), possible owner: inscription on 10/10v (f.100v) of second item in volume “R[everendus] P[ater] Johannes [...]”
Louis Jean Gaignat (1697-1768), Secretary to King Louis XV: Gaignat sale, 1769; lot 2129 in Guillaume de Bure, 'Bibliographie instructive: supplément ... ou catalogue des livres de feu M. L.J. Gaignat', (Paris: 1769).
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: purchased by Hunter at the Gaignat sale through his agent, Jean-Baptiste Dessain, for 73 livres 1 sou; see 'Dessain-Hunter correspondence' (University of Glasgow Library, MS Gen. 36, f.25v).
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest, 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “K.7.13”.
|Binding:||France, 18th-century red morocco, covers bordered with triple gold fillets, a small gold fleuron at each corner, and triple gold fillets form a centre panel with a separate diamond-shaped floral ornament at each outer corner; gold-tooled spine; marbled endpapers; gilt edged leaves; green silk bookmark. Size: 223 x 160 mm.|
|Leaf size:||216 x 152 mm.|
|Annotations:||Occasional underlining; pointing hands on 1/1r and 1/1v; partially deleted inscription (16th/17th century) in upper margin of 1/1r.|
|Decoration:||Two-line initial “G” on 1/1r supplied in red (now heavily faded); faded initial strokes in red on 1/1r.|