Johannes de Erfordia: Computus chirometralis.
[Cologne: Johann Koelhoff, the Elder, ca. 1480-85]
4to. [1-28 36].  leaves, the last blank.
Author identified as John of Erfurt (i.e. Johannes de Erfordia) by Thorndike and Kibre, 'A catalogue of incipits of mediaeval scientific writings in Latin' (London: 1963), col. 231.
Dated by GW.
ISTC ic00797800; GW 7280.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Bk5-g.22 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Bound with:||The fourth of five incunabula bound together.
Bound with: (1) Mela, Pomponius, Cosmographia, sive De situ orbis. Venice: [Printer of Pomponius Mela], 15 Nov. 1477; (2) Dionysius Periegetes, De situ orbis. Venice: Franciscus Renner, de Heilbronn, 1478; (3) Johannes de Sacro Bosco, Sphaera mundi. Venice: Franciscus Renner, de Heilbronn, 1478; (5) Aurelius Victor, Sextus [pseudo-], De viris illustribus. Venice: Andreas de Paltasichis, 5 June 1477.
|Note:||On the final blank leaf are blind impressions of lines of type.|
|Provenance:||For likely early provenances of Henry Gibson (fl. 1553) and John Gibson (16th century), see the first, third and fifth items bound up with this work.
Robert Wodrow (1679-1734), minister of Eastwood, ecclesiastical historian and Librarian of the University of Glasgow: inscription "Ex Libris Bibliothecae Universitatis Glasguensis Ex Dono M. Roberti Woddrow Pastoris Ecclesiae de Eastwood 1703" on a2r of the first item in this volume (Pomponius Mela); see 'Munimenta alme Universitatis Glasguensis’, ed. C. Innes, 4 vols (Glasgow: 1854), III, p. 448.
University of Glasgow: signed "Jo: Stirling Principal" on a2r of the Pomponius Mela, by John Stirling (1654-1727) in his capacity as Principal; Old Library shelfmark "AF 6 n.21." on a2r of the Pomponius Mela, matching entry in ‘Catalogus librorum Bibliothecae Universitatis Glasguensis anno 1691’; shelfmark "AS.2.5" on a2r of the Pomponius Mela matching entry in A. Arthur, ‘Catalogus impressorum librorum in Bibliotheca Universitatis Glasguensis’ (Glasguae: 1791).
|Binding:||Late 15th/early 16th-century blind-tooled calf over oak boards, bevelled edges; single small brass catch plate (all that survives of an original thong clasp) on front board; covers decorated with triple fillets to form a panel, which is divided by triple fillets into lozenges and triangles, each decorated with a single fleur-de-lys stamp. Rebacked in goatskin and restored, with new endpapers and flyleaves, by Anthony Gardner, Apr. 1967; binder’s note on rear free endpaper and flyleaf. Size: 205 × 145 mm.|
|Leaf size:||193 x 130 mm.|
|Annotations:||Single “nota” mark on 3/2v (f.18v); occasional hyphen supplied at line endings e.g. on 2/3r (f.11r).|
|Decoration:||Initials, underlining and paragraph marks supplied in red throughout.|