Augustinus, Aurelius: Explanatio psalmorum.
Basel: Johann Amerbach [and Johann Petri de Langendorff, not after 8 Sept.] 1489.
Fol. Part I: a-b8 2a-b8 c-s6.8 t-v6 x8. Part II: A-K8.6 L8 M-P8.6 Q-R8 S-V6 X8 Y6 Z8 AA-DD6 EE8. Part III: 1-188.6 196 208 21-236 248 25-276 288.  leaves, 1 and 16 blank.
ISTC ia01272000; Goff A1272; BMC III 751; Bod-inc A-548; GW 2909.
Dated from the Amerbach correspondence (Sack).
Two copies listed in Glasgow Incunabula Project; copy 1 held by University of Glasgow Library and copy 2 held by the Mitchell Library
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Bi5-c.10 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Variants:||a2r, line 1: “... ſentētiarū ...” as in Bod-inc and GW, not “... sententiarū ...” as in BMC; 28/8r, col. 2, line 33: “... Conſūmatū ...” as in GW and BMC, not “... Conſumatū ...” as in the Mitchell Library copy described below.|
|Provenance:||James Huntar (16th century): inscription on a7r “Ex libris Mag[ist]ri Iacobi Huntar”.
University of Glasgow: shelfmark “E.f.1.n.7” on a2r matching entry in 'Catalogus librorum Bibliothecae Universitatis Glasguensis anno 1691' (University of Glasgow Library, MS Gen. 1313); entered in A. Arthur, 'Catalogus impressorum librorum in Bibliotheca Universitatis Glasguensis', (Glasguae: 1791) with shelfmark “AA.5.13” (evidence of that shelfmark no longer present in book).
|Binding:||Netherlands(?), 15th/16th-century blind-tooled calf over oak boards; J.B. Oldham, 'Notes on bindings in the Hunterian and general libraries in Glasgow University', tentatively suggests a Netherlands origin; covers decorated with fillets to form three concentric rectangles; the inner rectangle is decorated with three columns of square stamps - the middle column using a repeated stamp of a paschal lamb, the outer columns using a repeated stamp of a double-headed eagle; the middle rectangle is decorated with a repeated square stamp of five entwined flower heads each of five petals; the outer rectangle uses the same stamp applied in lozenge-form; spine covering, original endpapers, and two clasps all now lost; binding restored Sept. 1964 by Anthony Gardner, binder's note on new rear free endpaper. Size: 345 x 235 mm.|
|Leaf size:||327 x 222 mm.|
|Annotations:||Very occasional marginal annotations, underlining and “nota” marks in a 16th-century hand; ownership inscription on 2a3r (largely deleted) beginning “Liber [...]”|
|Imperfections:||Wanting the blank leaf a1.|
|Variants:||a2r, line 1: “... ſentētiarū ...” as in Bod-inc and GW, not “... sententiarū ...” as in BMC; 28/8r, col. 2, line 33: “... Conſumatū ...” not “... Conſūmatū ...” as in GW, BMC and in the Glasgow University Library copy described above.|
|Note:||Gatherings a-b are bound at the end of the volume.|
|Provenance:||Stuttgart, Württembergische Landesbibliothek, Kgl. Öffentliche Bibliothek, founded in Ludwigsburg 1765 by Duke Karl Eugen, moved to Stuttgart 1777: on a1r is a circular armorial book stamp “BIBLIOTH. PUBL. REG. STUTTG. [crowned arms]” and oval duplicate stamp “DOUBLETTE DER K. ÖFFENTL. BIBLIOTHEK IN STUTTGART”.
Stuttgart, Consistorium (Ecclesiastical central administration of the duchy of Württemberg): inscription “CONSISTORIUM J.H.F.” on a1r; “CONSISTORIUM” written in ink in bottom spine compartment.
Joseph Lilly (1804-1870), bookseller, 19 King St., Covent Garden, London: vendor.
Maurice Ogle & Son, booksellers, Royal Exchange Square, Glasgow (1832-1871): vendor.
William Euing (1788-1874), insurance broker, Glasgow: purchased 5 Nov. 1846 according to Euing’s pencil acquisition note with price code “5. 11/46 ba/ Lilly for Ogle” on front pastedown.
Stirling’s Public Library (now part of the Mitchell Library), Glasgow: Stirling’s Public Library, Glasgow: bookplate on a1r inscribed “A Donation from Wm. Euing Esq”.
|Binding:||Germany, 16th-century blind-tooled alum-tawed sheepskin over wooden boards; front cover decorated with a double fillet to form three concentric rectangles; the inner rectangle is divided from corner to corner by a double fillet to form four triangular compartments, with a lozenge-shaped fleur-de-lys stamp at the intersection of the fillets and also in the upper and lower triangles; the middle rectangle has a rosette stamp at each corner and an indistinct oval stamp in the centre of each side; the outer rectangle is undecorated. Rear cover has the same basic outline formed by a double fillet but without the added stamps. Spine undecorated; top compartment has a title in black ink partially overlaid with a square paper label bearing the printed number “38”; bottom compartment is lettered in ink “CONSISTORIUM” (see Provenance). Evidence of two fore-edge clasps (both lost); formerly chained, with a metal hasp at top edge of rear board. Front and rear vellum pastedowns are partially overlaid with uneven turn-ins from the covers; both pastedowns and turn-ins show copious and detailed offsetting (text in reverse image) from a manuscript with text in double columns of the Middle High German romance, 'Parzival', by Wolfram von Eschenbach: front pastedown contains 'Parzival', IX 465.1-467.20 and 478.11-480.30, rear pastedown contains 'Parzival', IX 467.21-470.10 and 475.23-478.10; the original manuscript leaves of the 'Parzival' text - presumably once pasted onto the vellum pastedowns - are no longer present. Size: 332 x 232 mm.|
|Leaf size:||324 x 226 mm.|
|Annotations:||A few marginal annotations in a 16th-century hand in gathering a; 19th-century number “2004” in black ink and initials “JMB” in purple ink on a1r, together with inscription “A Folio No. 350” in blue crayon (“350” repeated in blue crayon on rear pastedown); 19th-century pencil number “S121” on front pastedown.
|Imperfections:||Wanting the blank leaf b8 (leaf 16).|