Leo I, Pont. Max: Sermones
Edited by Johannes Andreas de Bussis, bishop of Aleria.
Rome: Conradus Sweynheym and Arnoldus Pannartz, [after 21 Sept.] 1470.
Fol. [1-1110 12-148].  leaves, the first blank.
ISTC il00129000; Goff L129; BMC IV 11; Bod-inc L-064.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian Bf.2.11 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Note:||Printer's pin-holes visible.|
|Provenance:||Negro family, Venice (unidentified bishop from): cropped painted coat of arms in lower margin of 1/5r - gules, a fess argent in chief the letter “B” - which is suspended from a portal(?) on top of which sit two nude children, one holding a mitre, the other a crozier; the arms are identified by Martin Davies and Lilian Armstrong as those of the Venetian, non-patrician family Negro (the cropped portion of the arms would have contained a letter “N”); similar arms (without the mitre and crozier) appear in an illuminated 1472 Jenson Pliny in Paris BnF Rés. S. 415, CIBN P-459.
Louis Jean Gaignat (1697-1768), Secretary to King Louis XV: Gaignat sale, 1769; lot 247 in Guillaume de Bure, 'Bibliographie instructive: supplément ... ou catalogue des livres de feu M. L.J. Gaignat', 2 vols (Paris: 1769).
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: purchased by Hunter at the Gaignat sale through his agent, Jean-Baptiste Dessain, for 99 livres 19 sous; see 'Dessain-Hunter correspondence' (University of Glasgow Library, MS Gen. 36, f. 24v).
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest, 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “T.6.3”.
|Binding:||France, 18th-century blue morocco decorated with triple gold fillets, a small gold fleuron at each corner; gold-tooled spine; marbled endpapers; gilt-edged leaves; pink silk bookmark; flyleaves have watermark “MGIS || 1742 || FIN”. Size: 316 x 235 mm.|
|Leaf size:||308 x 224 mm.|
|Annotations:||Frequent marginal annotations in two humanist hands (often extracting keywords or phrases); frequent pointing hands and “nota” marks; rubricae on 1/2v-1/4r are numbered; gatherings numbered in arabic numerals in an early hand in extreme inner corner of lower margin of first recto.|
|Decoration:||On 1/5r a seven-line letter “L” is supplied in gold on a square ground of white-vine decoration defined in crimson, blue and green, and in the lower margin is a cropped painted coat of arms - see Provenance; seven-line initial “S” on 6/6r (f. 56r) supplied in gold on a ground of white-vine decoration, and a similarly decorated six-line initial “H” supplied on 10/10r (f. 100r) and seven-line initial “O” on 11/7v (f. 107v); smaller initials and paragraph marks supplied throughout in alternate red and blue.|
|Imperfections:||Wanting the first blank leaf.|