Paulus de Sancta Maria: Scrutinium scripturarum.
Mainz: Peter Schoeffer, 7 Jan. 1478.
Fol. [a-b10 c12 d-k10 l8 m-r10 s12 t-x10 y6].  leaves, 72 and 218 blank.
Woodcut printer’s device in red.
ISTC ip00205000; Goff P205; BMC I 34.
Three copies held by the University of Glasgow.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll BD7-d.10 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Provenance:||John Arden, Trinity College, Oxford - “commoner of Trinity Coll. in or before 1564” (J. Foster, 'Alumni Oxonienses 1500-1714', vol. 1, p. 30): inscription on [a1r] (leaf [1r]) “Liber Collegij Sanctae Trinitatis ex dono M[agist]ri Johannis Arden generosi, quondam scholaris eiusdem collegij”.
Oxford, Trinity College; see above.
Peter Hall (19th century): armorial bookplate on front pastedown.
Edward Knight (fl. 1857-1874), bookseller, Islington, London: sold book to William Euing.
William Euing (1788-1874), insurance broker, Glasgow: purchased from Knight 31 Jan. 1866 according to Euing’s pencil annotation with price code on front pastedown “31 1 66 Knt eh/-” together with Euing’s pencil inventory number “No. 2474” and a superseded Euing inventory number “91”; source confirmed in Euing’s acquisitions inventory (University of Glasgow Library MS Euing 49).
University of Glasgow: presented by Euing in 1872 according to University Library bookplate on front pastedown.
|Binding:||England, 19th-century gold-tooled diced brown calf, gold-tooled spine; gilt-edged leaves. Size: 295 x 216 mm.|
|Leaf size:||284 x 206 mm.|
|Annotations:||Sporadic marginal annotations and underlining in a 16th-century hand; foliated (with errors) in a 16th-century hand “1”-“218”; each “Distinctio” in pars prima of the text numbered in a 16th-century hand “1”-“10” in the centre of the upper margin of all recto leaves, likewise in pars secunda “1”-“6”; lengthy bibliographical and biographical note on the front flyleaf including a comparison (made in 1859) of this copy with one in the British Museum Library - probably by the bookseller Edward Knight.|
|Imperfections:||Wanting the blank [g10] (leaf ) and the final blank [y6] (leaf ); [y5] (leaf ) mounted and without its original margins.|
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian Be.3.22 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Provenance:||Louis Le Coq (Ludovicus Gallus) (late 15th century), perhaps the Ludovicus Gallus associated with the Collège de Navarre Paris (cf. Needham, IPI): inscription on [y5r] (leaf [217r]) “Pro ludouico gallj”.
Colbert, Paris, “Bibliotheca Colbertina” i.e. the library owned successively by Jean Baptiste Colbert de Torcy (1619-1683); Jacques Nicolas Colbert, Archbishop of Rouen (1655-1707); and Charles Eléonor Colbert, Comte de Seignely (d. 1747): inscription on [a2r] (leaf [2r]) “Bibliothecæ Colbertinæ”. The Colbert Library was sold in Paris in 1728 ('Bibliotheca Colbertina: seu catalogus librorum bibliothecae, quae fuit primum J.B. Colbert ... ac demum Caroli-Leonorii Colbert'); lot 749 in vol. 1 of the Colbert sale catalogue, which sold for 8 livres 16 sous according to the priced copy of the sale catalogue in University of Glasgow Library (shelfmark Hunterian Add. 49-51).
Louis Jean Gaignat (1697-1768), Secretary to King Louis XV: Gaignat sale, 1769; lot 133 in Guillaume de Bure, 'Bibliographie instructive: supplément ... ou catalogue des livres de feu M. L.J. Gaignat', 2 vols (Paris: 1769).
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: purchased by Hunter at the Gaignat sale through his agent, Jean-Baptiste Dessain, for 12 livres 1 sou; see Dessain-Hunter correspondence (University of Glasgow Library, MS Gen. 36, f.24r).
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest, 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “Ad.9.18”.
|Binding:||France, 18th-century blue morocco decorated with triple gold fillets, a small gold fleuron at each corner; gold-tooled spine; marbled endpapers; gilt-edged leaves; pink silk bookmark. Size: 276 x 207 mm.|
|Leaf size:||270 x 197 mm.|
|Annotations:||Occasional marginal annotations, nota marks, underlining in a 16th-century hand; very occasional 17th-century marginal annotations in French; unread 16th-century ownership(?) inscription partially erased on 22/5v (f. 217v). ‘No 165’ in an 18th-century hand on front free endpaper; the same hand has written ‘No 629’ in Marcus Tullius Cicero, Orationes. Venice: Christophorus Valdarfer, [not after 9 Nov.] 1471 (Bf.3.19) and ‘No 386’ in Lucius Coelius Firmianus Lactantius, Opera. Rome: Sweynheym and Pannartz, 1468 (Bf.1.15).|
|Decoration:||Principal initials supplied in red and blue with reserved white; other initials supplied in red or blue; paragraph marks supplied in alternate red and blue.|
|Imperfections:||Wanting [a1] (for which a manuscript title-page in black ink with imitation woodcut border has been substituted) and the final blank [y6] (leaf ).|
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Hunterian Bw.2.2 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Provenance:||Celestines, France: inscription on [y4v] (leaf [216v]) “Istud volumen fuit em[p]tu[m] de p[e]cu[n]iis p[ro]ui[n]cie francie celestinor[um] p[er] R[everendum] p[atrem] in [Christ]o fr[atr]em Qui[n]tinu[m] bourge p[ro]ui[n]cialem Anno d[omi]nj [year scored through]”; deleted ownership inscription on [a1r] beginning “Celeſ[...]”
Quintinus (Quentin) Bourge (15th/16th century), Provincial of the Celestines of France: see above.
Joseph Smith (1673/4?-1770), British Consul in Venice: lot 1609 in 'Bibliotheca Smithiana: a catalogue of the curious, elegant, and very valuable library of Joseph Smith ... Which will be sold by auction, by S. Baker and G. Leigh ... on Monday, January the 25th, 1773'; bookplate (probably Smith’s) overlaid by Hunterian Library bookplate.
William Hunter (1718-1783), physician and anatomist: purchased by Hunter at the Smith sale for £3.3.0 according to the annotated BL copy of the Smith sale catalogue - shelfmark S.C.S. 8(7).
University of Glasgow: Hunterian bequest 1807; Hunterian Museum bookplate on front pastedown, with former shelfmark “N.5.2”.
|Binding:||Italy(?), 18th-century vellum with brown speckling; gold-tooled spine; red leather title labels; sprinkled red and brown-edged leaves. Size: 292 x 214 mm.|
|Leaf size:||286 x 206 mm.|
|Annotations:||Occasional marginal annotations in a 16th-century hand; occasional “nota” marks; evidence of 16th/17th-century signatures in lower margin (many cropped); gatherings [b]-[y] numbered on first recto leaf “2”-“22” perhaps in the same hand; number “239” in ink in an 18th-century hand on verso of front free endpaper.|
|Decoration:||Eight-line initial “S” on [a1r] supplied in gold and outlined in black on a square ground of blue and mauve with white decoration; other initials supplied throughout in blue and crimson with reserved white, or in separate blue or crimson; evidence of guide-letters in brown ink; paragraph marks supplied in crimson throughout.|