Jacobus de Voragine: Legenda aurea sanctorum, sive Lombardica historia.
Nuremberg: [Anton Koberger], 2 Apr. 1496.
Fol. π10 a-e8 f-h6 i8 k6 l8 m-z6 A-I6.  leaves, the last blank. The preliminary quire numbered but not signed.
ISTC ij00132000; Goff J132; BMC II 441; Bod-inc J-056.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll BC29-x.3 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Provenance:||H.P. (16th century): initials “H P” below colophon on I5r.
Bratislava (Slovakia) - Jesuits: 17th-century inscription on π1r (title-page) “Collegij Soc[ieta]tis Iesu Vratislauiensis Catalogo inscr[iptus] [page torn] Ex liberalitate R[everendi] D[omi]ni Ioannis Nicolai Parochi Stubensis” followed by an inventory number “n. 62”.
Joannes Nicolaus (17th century), parish priest, Studa, Carniola: see above.
Sir William Hamilton (1788-1856), Professor of Logic and Metaphysics, University of Edinburgh: source unknown.
University of Glasgow: Hamilton collection donation, 1878.
|Binding:||16th-century quarter calf over wooden boards (varnished on the outside); the leather on the front board divided diagonally by triple fillets to form lozenge-shaped compartments, which are decorated with two separate stamps - a roundel containing a stag, and a lozenge-shaped stamp of the Virgin and Child; at the lower edge of the leather on the front board is a single lozenge-shaped stamp containing a griffin with a small five-petalled flower at each outer corner, at the left-hand side of which the letter “h” has been incised into the leather; the leather on the rear board is also divided by triple fillets to form lozenge-shaped compartments, which are decorated with the same stag stamp but with a different Virgin and Child stamp, and with separate stamps of a lozenge-shaped fleur-de-lys and a small roundel containing a bird (an eagle?); the griffin stamp found on the front cover is also repeated on the rear; remains of two brass clasps with catch plates on rear board; plain spine; vellum pastedowns on front and rear boards, covering approximately one third of each board. Size: 292 x 208 mm.|
|Leaf size:||280 x 201 mm.|
|Annotations:||30-line annotation on π1r (title-page) in a 16th-century hand headed “De Institutione C[ardi]n[al]is ebdomade pro suffragio o[mn]i[u]m fideliu[m] ani[m]ar[um] exemplu[m]”; 16th-century inventory number or shelfmark “N8” on π1r; frequent marginal annotations in 16th-century hands, mainly in black ink, but occasionally in dull red; frequent “nota” marks and underlining; on both vellum pastedowns there are references to a few legends in a 16th-century hand; 19th-century numbers/codes written in pencil on front pastedown “50” and “Zng”.|
|Decoration:||Initials in the Tabula supplied in red or blue, often with reserved white and with marginal flourishes; initials throughout the text supplied in red, often with marginal flourishes; paragraph marks and capital strokes in red thoughout.|
|Imperfections:||Wanting the blank leaf I6; margins of final gatherings show signs of water-damage resulting in slight loss of text on I4 and I5; top outer corner of first leaf torn with loss of text on verso.|