Aurelius Victor, Sextus [pseudo-]: De viris illustribus.
Venice: Andreas de Paltasichis, 5 June 1477.
4to. [1-28 36 44].  leaves, the first blank.
Authorship unknown. Here attributed to Pliny the Younger, but generally to Aurelius Victor from the sixteenth century. (M.M. Sage, 'The De Viris Illustribus: authorship and date', Hermes 108, (1980), pp. 83-100.)
ISTC ia01386000; Goff A1386; BMC V 251; Bod-inc A-618.
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Bk5-g.22 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Bound with:||The fifth of five incunabula bound together.
Bound with: (1) Mela, Pomponius, Cosmographia, sive De situ orbis. Venice: [Printer of Pomponius Mela], 15 Nov. 1477; (2) Dionysius Periegetes, De situ orbis. Venice: Franciscus Renner, de Heilbronn, 1478; (3) Johannes de Sacro Bosco, Sphaera mundi. Venice: Franciscus Renner, de Heilbronn, 1478; (4) Johannes de Erfordia, Computus chirometralis. [Cologne: Johann Koelhoff, the Elder, ca. 1480-85]
|Provenance:||Henry Gibson (fl. 1553): on the blank page 1/1r "Henricus Gybsoun"; also, initials "HG" on leaf a2r of item 1 bound with this work (); for additional inscriptions by Henry Gibson, see the item which is also bound up with this work; according to Durkan & Ross, 'Early Scottish libraries', p. 103, Henry Gibson was a “Notary in Glasgow. At Glasgow University in 1549, and at St. Andrews in 1553.”
John Gibson (16th century): likely provenance - see details of inscriptions found in item 1 bound with this work ().
Robert Wodrow (1679-1734), minister of Eastwood, ecclesiastical historian and Librarian of the University of Glasgow: inscription on a2r of item 1 bound with this work (): “Ex Libris Bibliothecae Universitatis Glasguensis Ex Dono M. Roberti Woddrow Pastoris Ecclesiae de Eastwood 1703”.
University of Glasgow: donated by Wodrow in 1703, and signed on a2r of item 1 bound with this work () by John Stirling (1654-1727), in his capacity as Principal, “Jo: Stirling Principal”; Old Library shelfmark “AF 6 n.21.” on a2r of item 1 matching entry in 'Catalogus librorum Bibliothecae Universitatis Glasguensis anno 1691' (University of Glasgow Library, MS Gen. 1313); shelfmark “AS.2.5” on a2r of item 1 matching entry in A. Arthur, 'Catalogus impressorum librorum in Bibliotheca Universitatis Glasguensis' (Glasguae: 1791).
|Binding:||Late 15th/early 16th-century blind-tooled calf over oak boards, bevelled edges; single small brass catch plate (all that survives of an original thong clasp) on front board; covers decorated with triple fillets to form a panel, which is divided by triple fillets into lozenges and triangles, each decorated with a single fleur-de-lys stamp. Rebacked in goatskin and restored, with new endpapers and flyleaves, by Anthony Gardner, Apr. 1967; binder’s note on rear free endpaper and flyleaf. Size: 205 × 145 mm.|
|Leaf size:||193 x 130 mm.|
|Annotations:||Ink diagram, made with a compass, of concentric and overlapping circles on the blank page 1/1v; on the final blank page are a few numerical calculations and a brief annotation including the word “astrolabium”.|
|Decoration:||Initials and paragraph marks supplied in red throughout; chapter headings underlined in red throughout.|