Apuleius Madaurensis, Lucius: Opera.
Edited by Johannes Andreas de Bussis, bishop of Aleria. Add: [Pseudo-] Aristoteles: De mundo, translated by Apuleius. Hermes Trismegistus: Asclepius, translated by Apuleius(?). Alcinous: Epitome disciplinarum Platonis, translated by Petrus Balbus.
Venice: Philippus Pincius, 30 Apr. 1493.
Fol. [*4] a-t6.  leaves, the last blank, leaves 5-117 numbered I-VI, vii-cxii, cvi.
ISTC ia00936000; Goff A936; BMC V 495; Bod-inc A-371; GW 2303.
‘De mundo’ is the Latin reworking by Apuleius of the Pseudo- Aristotelian tract. The attribution to Apuleius of the translation of Asclepius is queried by CIBN (A-492). The ‘Epitome disciplinarum Platonis’ has often been ascribed to Albinus Platonicus, but recent scholarship supports an attribution to Alcinous (cf. Bod-inc A-151).
|Shelf-mark:||Sp Coll Bn6-d.1 (see main library entry for this item)|
|Provenance:||Mercier (16th century): “Mercier” written below colophon on t5r.
John Rutherford (c. 1520-1577), Reformation divine, appointed Provost of St Salvator's College, St Andrews, in 1560: 'Johne Rutherforde' heavily scored through on [*lr].
M.A.R. (16th/17th century): monogram “M A R” on t5v.
Fergus Alexander (perhaps Fergus Alexander, d. 1689, M.A. Glasgow, 1635, tutor of Dalreoch, minister at Kilmud in Ireland and then at Barr, Ayrshire - see Cosmo Innes, ed., 'Munimenta alme Universitatis Glasguensis', (1854) vol. 3, pp. 21, 85, 257 and H. Scott, 'Fasti ecclesiae scoticanae ... New ed.', vol. 3 (1920) p. 17): on [*1r] “Fergus Allexr”; the letters “M F A” stamped on each cover (see Binding).
University of Glasgow: on [*1r] shelfmark “BM.2.7” matching entry in 'Catalogus librorum Bibliothecae Universitatis Glasguensis anno 1691' (University of Glasgow Library, MS Gen. 1313) together with inscription “Ex libris Bibliothecae Universitatis Glasguensis emptus proprijs academiae sumptibus 1702 Jo. Stirling Principal”; shelfmark “B.1.10” on University Library bookplate on front pastedown matching entry in A. Arthur, 'Catalogus impressorum librorum in Bibliotheca Universitatis Glasguensis', (Glasguae: 1791) and a 19th-century shelfmark “GU.6.22”.
|Binding:||Scotland, rebound by Ian Maver, Sept. 1981, in full russet morocco, new pastedowns and flyleaves; binder’s note attached to rear pastedown. Size: 297 x 205 mm. Replacing a 17th-century calf binding decorated with double blind fillets and with the letters “M F A” stamped in blind in the centre of each cover (fragment of original binding preserved and mounted on new rear pastedown); earlier sprinkled red-edging of leaves preserved.|
|Leaf size:||290 x 198 mm.|
|Annotations:||Copious 17th-century marginal and interlinear notes in Latin on a1r-a2v; a few interlinear translations of words into English in a 17th-century hand on b5v; frequent underlining in brown ink throughout; on [*1r] motto “Soli deo gloria” in Latin and in Greek “μονον θεῳ δοξα”.|
|Imperfections:||Wanting the blank leaf t6.|