Statement: Community Safety


Image of the main building in sunlight

Content Warning: Sexual Violence and Harassment. If you would like to access support, without reading further, please follow this link.

The University is extremely concerned about reports of spiking of drinks and by injection across the country. We want our community to feel safe as they enjoy their time in Glasgow.

We are in contact with Police Scotland, other colleges and universities, as well as crimefighting groups across the city to review any incidents and provide help and support. 

The University is working with student bodies to encourage anyone who believes  they have experienced or witnessed an incident to contact the police immediately and to seek support, including using the University’s SafeZone APP, which is monitored 24 hours a day by security staff.

Police Scotland have also issued a statement regarding spiking of drinks - Read online.

Advice for our community includes:

  • If you suspect you have been spiked, for example you begin to feel strange or more drunk than you think you should be, get help immediately by telling a friend or a member of bar or security staff.
  • If you aren't with anyone, call someone you trust or use the alert button on the Safezone App. Ask to use a phone if haven’t got one. If you are near Campus, go to the Gatehouse which is manned 24 hours a day and can provide help. If you need urgent help call 101.
  • You can find information here on how to report an incident of harassment, bullying or assault. A member of staff from Student Services will contact you to provide support. No information will be shared further without your consent.

The Students' Representative Council Advice Centre have a list of online Sexual Violence Support resources.

The SRC also run a workshop series called ‘Let’s Talk about Sexual Violence’ which you can learn more about and sign up.

The Student Support Officers are Student Services staff who are based at the School/College level who are able to help signpost you to appropriate support if you need advice or guidance or have been affected by any of these issues.

First published: 21 October 2021