13 Nov 2020: Guidance on travel ahead of the holiday period
Issued: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 09:50:00 GMT
This week, the Scottish Government announced plans for student travel ahead of the festive period. These measures have been introduced to make sure everyone who wishes to travel home safely for the holidays can do so, whilst minimising the risk of transmission of Covid-19.
In line with the Scottish Government plan, the University is committed to the following five measures:
- Welfare is our top priority. Students will receive early, clear advice and support. Those who choose to stay in residences over the holiday period will be offered extra support.
- Staggered and early departure will be implemented for students returning home. We will ensure that students have enough time to self-isolate if required before travelling home.
- Students are advised to reduce their social mixing for two weeks before going home, and only to go out for exercise and essential shopping. This is particularly important for those returning to areas where Covid-19 is less prevalent or to homes with vulnerable members.
- Testing will be offered to students who wish to return home, as part of a UK-wide initiative. This will be done on a voluntary basis and with time to allow for self-isolation if required. Further information on this will be issued soon.Students in residences who test positive will be supported.
- All students will be contacted soon with further travel information and advice to help ensure safe travel over the Christmas period.
We will keep you informed of any guidance around the return to campus in January, as soon as possible.
Please also be aware that if you test positive for Covid-19, or if a member of your household tests positive, you will be required to self-isolate.
We want to keep everyone on our campuses safe, and the current health and safety precautions continue to remain very important. In order to minimise the risk of transmission, you should continue to:
- Use a face covering
- Avoid crowded places
- Clean your hands regularly
- Observe two-metre distancing
- Self-isolate if you have symptoms
Thank you most sincerely for your continued efforts, and please consider how you can follow these measures and help stop the spread of the virus over the Christmas period, for your own safety as well as that of your family and friends.
With best wishes,
Chief Operating Officer and University Secretary