12 May: Joint statement from UofG and campus trade unions
Issued: Tue, 12 May 2020 08:55:57 BST
JOINT STATEMENT ON UOFG RESPONSE TO COVID-19
In the unprecedented circumstances in light of the COVID-19 pandemic the University of Glasgow and our recognised trade union partners - UCU, Unite, Unison and GMB – have come together to produce a joint statement. We recognise that the pandemic COVID-19 has created huge uncertainty and anxiety for our whole community. At this time it is vitally important that we re-state our commitment to supporting colleagues and continuing to demonstrate our shared values. These include a strong belief in fairness and equity, a desire to make best use of the talents of all our staff, and an objective to improve the well-being of society as a whole. We pay tribute to the way colleagues at all levels have responded positively and selflessly in difficult circumstances over the past few weeks.
Specifically, the University and the campus trade unions will:
- Strive to ensure that the University’s position and its reputation are protected and enhanced
- Do everything we can to protect the jobs and livelihoods of members of staff
- Treat all members of staff, at all levels regardless of contract type, fairly and equitably
- Work together to ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of all members of staff and their families
- Work together to support members of staff adapting to new ways of working and to continue making a positive contribution in these changing circumstances
- Continue to share information and ideas regularly, in a spirit of openness and transparency.
Principal and Vice Chancellor
Presidents of UCU, Unison, Unite and GMB, University of Glasgow branches