Quarantine support for international students
Help with quarantine costs
To be eligible for a reimbursement, all students must:
- first pay for and complete the period of stay in hotel quarantine. Your hotel quarantine may be anywhere in the UK and in line with government guidelines.
- be domiciled in a country which remains on the UK red list following publication on 8 August
- have completed academic and financial registration for academic year 2021/22
In normal circumstances a student would only be eligible for 1 quarantine reimbursement. Receiving a scholarship from the University of Glasgow does not affect your eligibility.
The University will cover the quarantine costs of £2,285 for you if you are joining us in September 2021.
The University will cover the quarantine costs for you if you are returning to Glasgow in September 2021 to continue:
- an undergraduate or postgraduate research degree programme
- a postgraduate taught degree programme which you began in academic year 2020/21 and is of more than 1 year in duration.
The University will not cover the quarantine costs if you travelled before August 1st 2021 and are claiming for retrospective reimbursement.
How to apply
- An application form is available on our helpdesk: www.gla.ac.uk/help and search for "managed quarantine support"
We expect that you will be able to apply with this form until January 2022.
Isolating in a hotel if you arrive in Scotland from a red list country
If you arrive in Scotland from a red list country, you’ll need to quarantine at a hotel in Scotland for 10 days (11 nights) as soon as you arrive
You must book the hotel you're going to isolate in before travelling to Scotland. You can only book your hotel through the quarantine hotel booking website. You cannot book a hotel through any other website.
Travelling to England from a red list country, before travelling on to Scotland
If you fly from abroad to an airport in England, you must quarantine in a hotel in England if you have travelled through a red list country during the 10 days before you arrive in England.
To get help booking hotels in England, use the quarantine hotel booking service.
If you are travelling on to Scotland after isolating in a hotel for 10 days in England, you will not need to isolate for a second time in Scotland.
We strongly recommend that you open a UK bank account when you arrive in the UK. If you would like your reimbursement paid to your UK bank account, you should add your account details to your Financial Aid Account in My Student Center.
Reimbursements paid to UK bank accounts take 2-3 weeks, whereas reimbursements paid to non-UK/international bank accounts can take 8-10 weeks.
If the UK government have authorised a deferred payment plan for your Managed Quarantine costs, you will still receive a reimbursement for the full amount from the University of Glasgow (if eligible) and you will be responsible for repaying the UK Government as per your instalment plan with them.