Obtaining a marriage schedule
To obtain the marriage schedule, both parties submit notice of intention to wed to the registrar of the district in which the marriage is to take place:
- Notice must be must be given in the three-month period prior to the date of the marriage/partnership, and
- Not later than 28 days before that date.
In order for a marriage or partnership to be legally recognised, the marriage schedule must be present and completed during the ceremony.
For more information about the legal process contact a local Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths or the National Records of Scotland.
Religious or humanist marriage
- One of the partners to the marriage must collect the marriage schedule within seven days before the marriage is due to take place.
- The marriage schedule must be present during the marriage ceremony during which it will be signed by both partners, the celebrant and two witnesses.
- It must be returned to the registrar's office within three days so that s/he can register the marriage.
Civil marriage or partnership
- The registrar will bring the marriage/civil partnership schedule to the wedding ceremony, and
- The registrar will then register the marriage/partnership.