Glasgow College of Nursing and Midwifery
Dates of Creation 1877-1992
Name of Creator Glasgow College of Nursing and Midwifery (training college: 1992-1996: Glasgow)
Academic transcripts can be obtained from Glasgow Caledonian University. The Archive cannot issue transcripts.
Language of Material English
Physical Description 6.00 meters
Scope and Content
Examination papers, course syllabuses, nurses certificates and other printed ephemera with audio visual aids used in nurse education and nurses’ badges, 20th century;
Gartloch Hospital results of internal and external examinations, 1904-1974;
Gartloch Hospital attendance registers, 1949-1974;
Glasgow Royal Infirmary register of nurses and female servants, 1877-1902;
Glasgow Royal Infirmary attendance registers, 1893-1918;
Glasgow Royal Infirmary nurses' lecture notes, 1890s;
Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital pupil midwives’ registers, 1924-1933 and 1938-1948;
Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital pupil nurses’ application forms, 1948-1956;
Robroyston Hospital pupil midwives’ records of training, 1945-1956;
Southern General Hospital pupil midwives’ records of training, 1938-1954;
Southern General Hospital attendance registers, 1949-1959;
Stobhill Hospital records of training, 1921-1954;
Stobhill Hospital attendance registers, 1928-1957;
Stobhill Hospital Nurses League minutes, 1951-1992;
Western Infirmary attendance registers, 1946-1964;
Western Infirmary nurses' lecture notes, 20th century.
Administrative / Biographical History
Until 1974 nurse education in Glasgow was hospital-based. Prior to the introduction of state registration of nurses in 1919, many of the hospitals’ Nurse Training Schools were examining as well as teaching bodies. One major exception was the mental hospitals which prepared candidates for the examinations of the Royal Medico-Psychological Association. In 1974, five Colleges of Nursing were created, one for each National Health Service district in Glasgow. Initially these tended to consist of several hospital-based training schools on separate sites.
Over time new premises were built and nurse education was centralised in a single college in each district (except South of the Clyde where two districts were served by a single college). The colleges were: Eastern in St James Road; Northern at Stobhill Hospital; South at the Southern General Hospital; and, Western in University Avenue. These building developments reflected a shift towards more theoretical education. A single Glasgow College of Nursing and Midwifery was created by merging all of the district colleges in 1992. This college transferred from the National Health Service to Glasgow Caledonian University in 1996.
Arranged chronologically by series.
Conditions Governing Access
Under the General Data Protection Regulations, employment and training records are closed for 75 years.
Glasgow Caledonian University Archives
Other Finding Aids
A paper based finding aid can be located in the searchroom.
Fonds level description compiled by Alistair Tough, 21 May 2019
Appraised in line with standard procedures.
No further accruals expected.
HB 1: Records of Gartloch Hospital, Lanarkshire; HB 14: Records of Glasgow Royal Infirmary; HB 45: Records of Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital; HB 55: Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board; HB 36: Records of Robroyston Hospital, Glasgow; HB 17: Records of Southern General Hospital, Glasgow; HB 50: Records of Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow; HB 6 and HH 66: Records of Western Infirmary, Glasgow; HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow.