Family Planning Association, Scotland
Dates of Creation 1937-1990
Name of Creator Family Planning Association, Scotland (health education body: 1930-1974: Glasgow)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 1.00 meters
Scope and Content
Minutes and reports, 1937-1990;
Working files, 1963-1990;
Branches' records, 1946-1986.
Administrative / Biographical History
The first family planning clinic in Scotland was the Glasgow Women's Welfare Clinic which opened in 1925. Other clinics followed and in 1937 a Scottish Federation of Mother's Welfare Clinics was formed. It appears that by that time the Scottish clinics were affiliated to the National Birth Control Association (later re-named the Family Planning Association).
In 1964 a major reorganisation took place in the FPA: that year's AGM resolved that it should become a "... unitary national organisation...". Previously the bulk of the FPA's funds had been held by the branches and clinics.
From the 1960s onwards the FPA employed a number of "regional organisers", one of whom was based in Glasgow until 1990 when the Scottish office was closed down. The FPA's Scottish Advisory Council / Federation had a coordinating role but limited funds and executive power.
Chronological within record series
Conditions Governing Access
Arranged in series.
These records were transferred to the FPA offices in London in 1990. The assistance of the Contemporary Medical Archives Centre at the Wellcome Institute in securing their transfer to Glasgow is gratefully acknowledged.
Other Finding Aids
A paper-based finding aid can be located in the searchroom.
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Fonds level description compiled by Alistair Tough, 21 May 2019
Appraised according to standard procedures.
No further accruals expected.
GB 0120 SA/FPA, Records of Family Planning Association, Wellcome Trust.