Woodilee Hospital, Lenzie
Reference HB 30
Dates of Creation 1875-1992
Name of Creator Woodilee Hospital (psychiatric hospital : 1875-2000 : Lenzie, Dunbartonshire)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 25 meters
Scope and Content
Annual and other reports, 1875-1948;
Visitors books, 1877-1955;
Case books (male patients), 1875-1951;
Case books (female patients), 1875-1956;
Post mortem reports, 1900-1956;
Records regarding Woodcroft House, 1958-1977;
Administrative / Biographical History
When the Barony Parochial Asylum opened in 1875 it was the largest parish asylum in Scotland with 400 patients. By the mid 1880s it was licensed for 600 patients. In 1898, with the amalgamation of the Glasgow City and Barony Parishes, Woodilee became the responsibility of the District Board in Lunacy for City and Barony Parishes. It became a Glasgow Corporation hospital in 1930, by which time Woodilee had been expanded to accommodate 1,250 patients. In 1948 it became an NHS hospital under the Board of Management for Glasgow North Eastern Mental Hospitals. The hospital had four farms and agricultural work was used as a form of work therapy until the late 1960s. In 1974 Woodilee was placed in the Northern District of the newly created GGHB: the Northern District was followed by a complex series of short-lived administrative structures within the ambit of the GGHB. A large part of the hospital was evacuated following the discovery of severe structural defects in the fabric of the buildings on 13 Mar 1987 ["Black Friday" to many at the hospital]. Following the NHS reforms of 1992, the Greater Glasgow Community & Mental Health Services Trust was formed, and the closure of Woodilee followed in 2000.
Conditions Governing Access
Some records subject to the General Data Protection Regulations.
Appraised according to standard procedures.
HB 28, Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow; HB 32, Records of Northern District; HB 55, Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board.
Hutton, G. Woodilee Hospital, 125 years (Glasgow, Greater Glasgow Community & Mental Health Services Trust, 1997)