West of Scotland Neuro-Psychiatric Research Institute, Glasgow
Reference HB 21
Dates of Creation 1929-1949
Name of Creator West of Scotland Neuro-Psychiatric Research Institute (psychiatric clinic : 1909-1960 : Glasgow)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 0.2 metres
Scope and Content
Annual Reports 1929 and 1933
Research memoranda 1939-1948
Financial statements 1932-1944
Inventory and valuation of moveable property 1949
Administrative / Biographical History
Founded in 1909 as the Scottish Western Asylums Research Institute, it was reorganised in 1932 and its name changed to the West of Scotland Neuro-Psychiatric Research Institute. It worked in cooperation with the University of Glasgow from a laboratory at Gartnavel Royal Hospital. After the creation of the National Health Service in 1948 , the Institute was managed by the Board of Management for Glasgow Royal Mental Hospital until 1960 when it was wound up and the residue of its funds were transferred to the Henderson Research Scholarship.
Chronological within record class
Conditions Governing Access
Gartnavel Royal Hospital, Glasgow
Other Finding Aids
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Compiled by Alistair Tough, Greater Glasgow NHS Board Archivist, 23 July 1998 and revised by Alistair Tough, 7 May 2019.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
This material has been appraised in line with standard procedures
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer
HB 28, Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow; and HB 13, Records of Gartnavel Royal Hospital, Glasgow.