Western Infirmary, Glasgow
Reference HB 6
Dates of Creation 1873-2015
Name of Creator Western Infirmary (hospital: 1874–2015 : Glasgow)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 89.00 metres
Scope and Content
Minute book letters, 1911-1931;
Annual reports, 1873-1948;
Miscellaneous, including personal papers of Dr Donald J Mackintosh, 1879-2015;
Ward journals, 1874-1940;
Maps and plans, 1879-1993;
Residents Club, 1895-1954;
Genitourinary case notes, 1902-1941;
Nurses league, 1894-1977.
Administrative / Biographical History
The Western Infirmary was planned and built as an integral part of the removal of Glasgow University from the High Street to its present site at Gilmorehill. The Infirmary served as a teaching hospital once it was opened in 1874. Its initial complement of 150 beds was increased to 350 in 1881 and 630 in 1906-11. A new nurses home was opened in 1891, the Lady Hozier Convalescent Home was acquired in 1893, the Tennent Institute of Ophthalmology was opened in 1936 and the Gardiner Institute of Medicine in 1938. In respect of both laboratory services and radiology the Western was proud of its pioneering role. In the 1950s it was agreed that the maintenance costs of the Western's original buildings could no longer be sustained. A rebuilding programme in two phases was authorised in 1964-5 and the 256-bed Phase I was completed in 1974. Phase II was indefinitely postponed in 1975. Following the completion of the 576 bed Gartnavel General Hospital in 1973, the work of the Western Infirmary and Gartnavel General was closely coordinated.
The Western Infirmary was placed under the Board of Management for Glasgow Western (later Western and Gartnavel) Hospitals from 1948 to 1974 and in 1974 was placed in the Western District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board. In 1993 the Western passed to the West Glasgow University NHS Trust. This was replaced in 1999 by the larger North Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust which also included Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Gartnavel General, the Dental Hospital and Stobhill Hospital. The Western Infirmary was closed in 2015: its services and functions were transferred to the Gartnavel General Hospital and the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.
Arranged in series, then generally arranged by date within series.
Conditions Governing Access
There is a 75 year closure period on medical records of adults, and a 100 year closure period on medical records of minors.
Appraised according to standard proceedures.
No further accruals expected.
HB 7, Records of Hozier House, convalescent home, Glasgow; HB 28, Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow; HB 37, Records of Glasgow Western (and Gartnavel) Hospitals Board of Management; HB 55, Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board; HB114, North Glasgow Hospitals NHS Trust.
Kerr, A B and MacQueen, L, The Western Infirmary 1874–1974 (Glasgow and London, John Horn Ltd, 1974)