Western District Hospital, Glasgow
Reference HB 44
Dates of Creation 1900-1965
Name of Creator Western District Hospital (hospital : 1902-1965 : Glasgow)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 4 metres
Scope and Content
Admission registers 1951-1965
Indexes to patients 1950-1965
Registers of births, deaths, operations and casualties 1956-1965
Register of multiple births, neo-natal deaths and still births 1952-1960
Accident book 1959-1965
Maps and plans 1900-1965
Administrative / Biographical History
Built in 1902-1904 by the combined City and Barony Parish for the treatment of acute medical and surgical cases, the Western District Hospital was commonly known as Oakbank Hospital. Oakbank was sited on a triangular plot bounded by Possil Road, Garscube Road and a canal. Oakbank became a Glasgow Corporation hospital in 1930 and joined the National Health Service in 1948 under the Board of Management for Glasgow Northern Hospitals. The Western District Hospital closed in 1965 . The buildings were temporarily used as the Royal Hospital for Sick Children between 1966 and 1971, during re-building at Yorkhill.
Chronological within record class
Conditions Governing Access
Normal 75 year closure applies to clinical records
Other Finding Aids
Compiled by Alistair Tough, Greater Glasgow NHS Board Archivist, 23 July 1998, revised 26 March 2019.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
This material has been appraised in line with standard procedures
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer
HB 28, Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow; HB 32, Records of Glasgow Northern Hospitals Board of Management/District.