Victoria Infirmary, Helensburgh
Reference AC 41
Dates of Creation 1879-1948
Name of Creator Victoria Infirmary (hospital : 1897- : Helensburgh)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 1.5 metres
Scope and Content
Annual reports 1880-1947
Ward journals 1917-1937
Administrative / Biographical History
Victoria Infirmary was opened in 1876 as Helensburgh Hospital. Originally the hospital was intended for the treatment of both infectious and non-infectious diseases, but it was decided to build a new hospital for non-infectious cases. A new site was chosen between King Street and Granville Street, and the new hospital was officially opened in 1895 .
In 1897, the name of Helensburgh hospital was changed to the Victoria Infirmary. Four doctors took it in turn to attend the hospital. The bed complement of twenty-two was divided evenly between 11 males and 11 females. There were also 3 private rooms on the first floor. In 1951 a new physiotherapy, X-ray and out-patients unit was opened. The hospital was maintained by voluntary subscription until 1948 when, with the inception of the NHS administrative control was transferred to the Board of Management for Dumbartonshire Hospitals, overseen by the Western Regional Hospital Board. In 1974, with the reorganisation of the NHS, control of the hospital transferred to the Dumbarton District of the Argyll & Clyde Health Board and later to the Argyll and Clyde Acute Hospitals NHS Trust . The Argyll and Clyde Health Board was dissolved in 2005, and responsibility for the Victoria Infirmary of Helensburgh was passed to NHS Highland.
Chronological within record series
Conditions Governing Access
Argyll and Clyde Acute Hospitals NHS Trust Headquarters
Other Finding Aids
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Fonds level description compiled by Karl Magee, 09 August 2000, revised by Alistair Tough, 26 March 2019
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
This material has been appraised in line with standard procedures
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer
AB1, records of Argyll and Clyde Health Board; AC46, records of Board of Management for Dumbartonshire Hospitals; HB28 records of Western Regional Hospital Board