Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow
Reference HB 23
Dates of Creation 1881-1993
Name of Creator Victoria Infirmary (hospital : 1890-2015 : Glasgow)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 88 metres
Scope and Content
Annual Reports 1881-1947
Ladies Auxiliary Association Annual Reports 1917-1940
Hospital Secretaries files 1939-1951
Registers of patients 1890-1948
Ward journals 1890-1948
Post mortem reports 1892-1963
Pathological reports 1907-1950
Record of attendances of out-patients for dressings 1933-1946
Emergency Hospital Scheme daily returns for Victoria Infirmary 1944-1947 and Philipshill Auxiliary Hospital 1944-1946
Pathological museum catalogue 1903
Caricatures of Glasgow medical men by Dr O. H. Mavor (James Bridie) undated
Material relating to Philipshill Auxiliary Hospital , 1930-1957
Administrative / Biographical History
The Victoria Infirmary was located at Langside on the South Side of Glasgow. It was opened in 1890 as a voluntary hospital with a bed complement of 84 beds. By 1906 it had 260 beds. A further 120 bed wing was added in 1927 and a paying patients block was completed in 1935. In the late 1940s the Infirmary was designated a major teaching hospital. Between 1959 and 1971 substantial upgrading and new building work, including new laboratories, operating theatres and Out-Patients Department, was undertaken. The Victoria acquired a convalescent home, Brooksby at Largs, in 1897 and built the first country auxiliary hospital in Scotland: Philipshill Hospital which opened in 1929. In 1948 the Victoria joined the National Health Service as the leading hospital under the Board of Management for Glasgow Victoria Hospitals. In 1974 it was placed in the South Eastern District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board. In 1992 the Victoria Infirmary achieved trust status within the NHS. In 1999 the Victoria Infirmary NHS Trust was replaced by the larger Southern Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust which also included the Southern General Hospital. The Victoria Infirmary was closed in 2015. Facilities for acute treatment were transferred to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital and the New Victoria Hospital catering for minor injuries was opened on an adjacent site.
Chronological within record class
Conditions Governing Access
Normal 30 year closures apply
Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow
Other Finding Aids
Compiled by Alistair Tough, Greater Glasgow NHS Board Archivist, 23 July 1998, revised 26 March 2019.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
This material has been appraised in line with standard procedures
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer
No further accessions are expected
HB 28, Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow; HB 55, Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board; HB 53, Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board South Eastern District; and HB 113 Records of Victoria Infirmary NHS Trust.
Slater, S D and Dow, D A Victoria Infirmary of Glasgow, 1890-1990, a centenary history, Glasgow: Victoria Infirmary Centenary Committee , 1990.