Thornhill Maternity Hospital, Renfrewshire
Reference AC 15
Dates of Creation 1950-1975
Name of Creator Thornhill Maternity Hospital (1934-1986: Johnstone, Renfrewshire)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 2.0 metres
Scope and Content
Register of admissions and discharges 1950-1975
Administrative / Biographical History
Originally a 39 bed Renfrew County Council maternity hospital, Thornhill Maternity Hospital opened in 1934 . It was transferred to the National Health Service in 1948 and was under the Board of Management for Paisley and District Hospitals until 1974 when it was placed in the Renfrew District of Argyll and Clyde Health Board. In 1970 it ceased to function as a maternity unit and began to admit respiratory, gynaecological and psycho-geriatric cases. Thornhill closed in 1986 .
Chronological within record class
Conditions Governing Access
Normal 30 year and 75 year closures apply
Other Finding Aids
Compiled by Alistair Tough, Greater Glasgow NHS Board Archivist, 23 July 1998, revised 26 March 2019
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
This material has been appraised in line with standard procedures
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer
AB1 Argyll and Clyde Health Board; AC21 Paisley and District Hospitals Board of Management; AC57 Renfrew District of Argyll and Clyde Health Board, Paisley; HB28 Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow.