Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow
Reference HB 50
Dates of Creation 1889-1997
Name of Creator Stobhill Hospital (hospital : 1903- : Glasgow)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 13 metres
Scope and Content
Registers of operations, 1920-1939;
Maps and plans, 1889-1995;
Chest and respiratory medicine, 1979-1991;
General registers, 1904-1997.
Administrative / Biographical History
Stobhill Hospital was built by the Glasgow City and Barony Parish Council and opened in 1903 – 04. it had 1,867 beds, of which 200 were for psychiatric assessment. During the First World War the hospital was converted into two military hospitals known as the third and fourth Scottish General Hospitals. It was particularly suited to this use because it was designed to handle ambulance trains. In 1928 a new radiology department was opened and in 1931 a maternity unit was added.
In 1930 Stobhill became a Glasgow Corporation hospital, following the 1929 Local Government (Scotland) Act. Noah Morris, Professor of Materia Medica in the University of Glasgow, transferred his professorial unit to Stobhill in 1937: Stobhill thus became the first university teaching hospital outwith the voluntary sector in Scotland.
In 1948 Stobhill transferred to the NHS. It was designated by the Western Regional Hospital Board as one of its five major central hospitals. As such Stobhill was the central element in the Board of Management for Glasgow Northern Hospitals. Many extensions and upgradings followed although the bed complement dropped, falling below 1,000 by 1965. In 1967 – 69 a Clinical Teaching Centre was completed. In 1974 administrative responsibility for Stobhill passed to the Northern District of new GGHB. The maternity unit was closed in 1992/93, leaving Stobhill as a general and geriatric medicine hospital. The Stobhill NHS Trust was created in 1993. This then merged with two other trusts overseeing Glasgow Royal Infirmary, the Western Infirmary and Gartnavel General Hospital for the creation of North Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust in 1999. This in turn was replaced by the North Glasgow Division of NHS Greater Glasgow in 2004.
In 2009, the new Stobhill Hospital building opened. The purpose-built hospital provides a number of specialist services including cardiology, renal dialysis, and gynaecology, as well as a minor injuries unit.
Conditions Governing Access
Because of the sensitive nature of much of the information contained in these records there is a 75 year closure period on all patient records. There is a 100 year closure period on records of minors.
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
None which affect the use of this material.
Appraised according to standard procedures.
Received directly from creator.
Watt, O. Stobhill Hospital. The first seventy years, Maclehose, 1971
HB 32: Records of Glasgow Northern Hospitals Board of Management/District; HB 55: Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board; HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow.