Royal Victoria Eye Infirmary, Paisley
Reference AC 16
Dates of Creation 1888-1979
Name of Creator Royal Victoria Eye Infirmary (eye hospital : 1888-1986: Paisley)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 3.4 metres
Scope and Content
Registers of admissions and discharges 1888-1976
Registers of operations 1918-1979
Administrative / Biographical History
The original Royal Victoria Eye Infirmary opened in 1888 with 4 beds. A new 17 bed building replaced it in 1897. This was further extended in 1926. The Royal Victoria Eye Infirmary joined the National Health Service in 1948 and was under the Board of Management for Paisley and District Hospitals until 1974 when it was placed in the Renfrew District of Argyll and Clyde Health Board. In 1986 the staff and patients were transferred to the new Royal Alexandra Infirmary and the Eye Infirmary was closed.
Chronological within record class
Conditions Governing Access
Normal 30 year and 75 year closures apply
Other Finding Aids
Compiled by Alistair Tough, Greater Glasgow NHS Board Archivist, 30 July 1998, revised 19 March 2019
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
This material has been appraised in line with standard procedures
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer
AC21 Paisley and District Hospitals Board of Management; AC57 Renfrew District of Argyll and Clyde Health Board; HB28 Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow.